Customer reviews

Tales of the Savoy: Memoirs of Glasgow Cafe Society
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2013
Great factual statement of a bygone era in Glasgow's seamy past. Well written and documented, yet without any heaviness, and broken down into easy byte sized chapters. Read it and find out how Glasgow used to be!
on 2 July 2017
great book as good as new
on 16 April 2017
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 November 2013
An enjoyable glimpse of Glasgow in times past. Enjoyed reading about the Glasgow Italians and the treatment of them during war time. I would recommend this as a good Glasgow book
on 17 November 2015
Fascinating true stories of a bygone era in Glasgow.
on 26 February 2013
Whilst too young to remember this era this book was a good read as I love Glasgow as a city
on 18 November 2003
I've never lived in the area of Glasgow where most of the book is based. I wasn't born until after that era had ended, however, I found the book fascinating and thought it was a great, caricaturistic view of the people living and working in and around the Cowcaddens area at that time.
A by-gone day captured with imagination and reflects with amusement a more obscure side of Glasgow life.Well worth a read.
on 18 March 2005
Superb nostalgia, as a former customer of the Savoy..I knew Glaswegians of the colourful types so vividly captured by this fine author...reminds me of Jaconelli's Cafe at Queens Cross, too. Also of the old beat cops like Big John McLeod from the Island, who took no guff from drunks, punks or punters.
A good read...
on 17 January 2010
I'm going to order all Joe Pieri's books the next time I'm buying from Amazon. I'm desperate to find a way to talk or write to Mr Pieri because I've discovered that my father's family sold the Savoy to Joe after he death of my grandfather. Can anyone help?
on 11 September 2000
I began my reading with considerable interest as it related to an area in which I had lived albeit as a small child and in which my father continued to have a business for many years.I could not see the sense of the author having adopted the name Mario Pietri as he was quite clearly referring to his own experiences but I chose to dismiss this.I continued to enjoy the book until I came to the chapter on the safebreaker...The Freddie referred to here was quite clearly my own father but his wife was not called Teresa and she never had any secret formula for the ice cream which was considered to be the best.They never lived above the shop....never....Yes they had a safe in the house and were the victims of a robbery but not by anyone like the character described....I could go on....I did with increasing incredulity.