Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 April 2010
Tales of the Otherworld is the second collection of short stories from Kelley set in her Otherworld. All but one of these stories first appeared on her website several years ago as free extras for her readers, but then she was offered a deal where the profits when to a charity, so they were taken off and put in to two collections. Men of the Otherworld which has been out for a year, and this one.

I love this collection! Some of the stories are only 15-20 pages long, but even those contain a lot and give some great back ground to some characters we don't see much of. As well as those set before or between her main Otherworld books. A fantastic addition to her series.

The stories:
Rebirth: the story of how Aaron became a vampire. Outside this, don't know much about him, this short story made me really love him.
Bewitched: the all new story for this collection which follows black witch Eve Levine as she meets enemy and potential ally sorcerer Kristof Nast. Brilliant back story for the characters which explains a lot and made me really want to reread the books where both characters appear, even if briefly.
Birthright: Logan discovers his heritage with an...interesting meeting with alpha werewolf Jeremy Danvers. One of the only times we really see Logan, and I love his characters. Wish there could be more of him.
Beginnings: how Elena Michaels meets and falls in love with Clayton Danvers, and his ultimate betrayal. Oh my gosh. Quite possibly my favourite of Kelley's stories full stop. A fantastic addition to the series all on it's own.
Expectations: Lucas Cortez is feeling the weight of his family's name, despite trying to escape it. Set well before we meet Lucas in Dime Store Magic, giving us a decent insight in to some of his motives for how he does things. I liked this story, but not one of my favourites. I like Lucas fine, but don't find him as interesting as some other characters. His interaction with Eve is well worth reading though.
Ghosts: Set during some events near the end of Bitten (1st Otherworld book, I don't want to give away spoilers) from Jeremy's POV. I love the insight to the Alpha's head.
Wedding Bell Hell: Lucas and Paige planning their wedding. Funny and sweet story which again adds to their overall story in the series.
The Case of El Chupacabra: Sean Nast (son of Kristof Nast, half brother to Savannah Levine) brings a case to Lucas and Paige to investigate. Didn't actually read this when it was online, but having read it now, I wish I had. Fantastic short story.

Overall, a must have if you're a fan of the series.
on 4 October 2010
For those who have already been introduced to Kelly Armstrongs Otherworld series dont miss this fantastic addition. It fleshes out the background of several characters with stories that work on their own. The Elena and Clay story alone was worth the price. There is a good mix of long and short stories and of characters ie Clay, Eve and Lucas feature strongly but there are plenty of other characters who get involved too. If you are not already aware of this series, then i recommend you try Bitten first - you will be from the first page!
on 25 September 2010
I have every Kelley Armstrong book as she is a fantastic author and this book is no different. A selection of short stories from characters that we have already met, but this gives us more of an insight. A great addition to my collection. Can't put it down!
on 17 July 2016
This is a really good selection of short stories from many of the otherworld characters. The stories are often hinted at in the main books but never expanded on and here you can read the full story. Asusual with kelley armstrong the stories are well written and absorbing with a good twist of humour inserted here and there. Highly recommended.
on 18 June 2015
In her 13 book series Women of the Otherworld Kelley Armstrong manages to create characters which are thoroughly three dimensional. I felt invested in their stories. This book builds on some of those characters and answers some of the questions which I would have loved to ask them. I have a better understanding of why they are the way they are and act the way they act in the series. I don't think these stories could be appreciated fully without previously reading the other novels, however now that I have read these I will go back and reread the others with a better appreciation of them. A truly talented author who has created a whole world which I am delighted to visit with every book she produces.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2010
I enjoyed this. Most of the stories I had read before but it's nice having them in paperback (Especially Beginnings because I love it so much). There were a few new short stories though so it was nice reading something fresh as well.

I LOVE Clay and Elena's story Beginnings and am so happy to get it in paperback. I love that couple the most and their stories are always so touching and entertaining.

I liked seeing how Eve and Kris met in the short story Bewitched. Gave me a back-story to my second favourite couple.

There were stories from Paige and Lucas, while not being my favourites, never fail to make me laugh.

Some interesting short ones about Cabel problems, a wee one from Jeremy and also Arron's first foray into vampirism.

A great collection for any fan. I wouldn't really recommend it to someone new to Kelley. Start with her full length novels, then come back to this is fill in some gaps. I love Kelley's work, her writing is always to a high standard. Anyone who likes Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Ilona Andrews, will love Kelley.
on 5 August 2011
Tales Of The Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong explores everyone's favourite characters form the Series of Books of the same name. As readers we see how Clay and Elena first met, how Eve and Kristoff hooked up and how Lucas and Paige got married.
The Series of books including, Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, and Waking The Witch is a brilliantly well written collection of books which makes this book of short tales a brilliant companion to it, as an addition to the series.

Kelley Armstrong books have it all, from witches, to demons, to sorcerers and much more.
An excellent book to read , you will not want to put it down. It is also a book you may like to keep and go back to as you travel through the whole series of the Kelley Armstrong books.
Would highly recommend!
on 1 June 2010
I love the Kelley Armstrong Otherworld series and this book did not disappoint.

Like Men of the Otherworld, this is a series of short stories and novellas that flesh out the characters from her novels. Clayton and Elena are in this book and, as always, their relationship leaves me breathless. A friend read this book first and told me she had to go back and re-read the novels now. I laughed at her but I now finding myself wanting to go back and do the same.

Sometimes prequels work well and these are wonderful. Do I dare re-read Bitten again? Would that make three or four times? I know that vampires and werewolves are all the rage now but these were the first for me (in the last decade) and they remain the standard to me.

Hold on Clayton...I'm coming
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 February 2012
I've had this book sat on my shelf for so long now that I thought I better pick it up and read it given how fantastic Kelley Armstrong usually is and I'm so glad that I did!

At first I was a bit worried I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the series because it's more of a collection of short stories (still involving the original characters) that readers have asked to have put into a book. Armstrong also produced another collection of short stories, "Men of the Otherworld" which I loved so I had high hopes for this one too.

It's important to note that some of these stories aren't very long, which was fine by me because I really wanted to know about how Clay and Elena (The werewolves of the series) first met and how she was changed. What's fantastic is that we get such a mix of perspectives for that particular story including Clay, Elena, Jeremy (much briefer than the others)and Logan each with their own background story running through it.

So, the stories this time around, as well as Clay and Elena's big chunk, include how Aaron (Cassandra's fellow vampire) became a vamp and how he handled it. Eve Levine and how she met Kristof Nast and fell pregnant with Savannah (who features quite a lot in this collection). Logan and how he stumbled across the werewolf pack. Lucas Cortez and his interactions with Eve Levine way back in the day. And finally, a relatively big chunk revolving around the wedding of Lucas and Paige and their first, married, investigative case together.

If you've not read the series then I would recommend you do so first because there are a large amount of spoilers in here regarding people who have or haven't died and so on. Similarly, if you're shopping for a younger audience and they haven't already read the series please note that some of the stories are a bit more "detailed" than others.

Happy reading for all the Armstrong fans! Another gem..of course!
on 10 December 2012
Advertising can be misleading and lumping this author in the same category as some of the scarily bad examples of the genre would be a mistake. Armstrong offers a variety of stories and novellas that give insights into characters she has developed in several novels. Sometimes those references to the books would probably helpful as I'm sure fans love the book for the background to clearly interesting characters. As an introduction to the author's work, this is a really good and I would very much recommend it as a fun read with well developed characters, interesting plots and stories.
The only negatives for me were my own lack of knowledge who the characters were (so this is definitely the right one to buy if you're a fan or looking for a present for a fan), the other one was a slight lack in strong voices. The characters didn't 'sound' very different which was particularly noticeable in the first person narratives.

Conclusion: A good solid collection and worth a read.