Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 17 October 2012
Creepy shorts that don't disappoint!

I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but when I picked this up, I found myself engrossed in each and every tale that I read. From the spine tingling folk lore of Scott Nicholson's Wampus Cat to Catie Rhodes graphic realism with a twist of humor in Haste, I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of each story. Tamara Ward's Jade O'Reilly and The Graveyard Shift had me looking over my shoulder at the creeks from my floorboards and Rhonda Hopkins story The Consuming made me wonder if my own house held secrets I had yet to discover. The King of Rats by Greg Carrico gave me a peek into the creepy world of fantasy with animal characters that came to life on the page, while Mitzi Flyte's ode to Edgar Allen Poe revived the terror I once experienced while reading the work of the master himself. Meredith Bond's chilling account of Lilith's fall from grace in the Garden of Eden story called In A Beginning gave me pause to ask the question, "What if?" Natalie Owens paints a grim picture of the line between reality and the voices in our heads in An Inconvenient Debt, and Lizzie Starr takes on Death and vampires in her frightening Dead Lily Blooms. Not to be forgotten, witches and ghosts are given their due in Stacey Joy Netzels, Beneath Still Waters, a story that will be a campfire favorite for me in the future. The stories were well-written and gave me a taste of each author's unique style which I think is the whole point of anthologies like this. I wouldn't hesitate to buy future full-length novels from any of these talented authors. I made the terrifying mistake of reading these stories while home alone at night in a big old farmhouse out in the woods...I highly recommend you do the same.
on 2 November 2014
Run of the mill stuff. Not very scary or original, and pretty badly written too. I wouldn't recommend, but at least it's a cheapie if you're really stuck for a read.
on 29 September 2013
I really recommend everyone to read this book,with writers such as Greg Carrico and Rhonda Hopkins,it really is a must read.I am still sleeping with the light on.
on 12 December 2014
Very mixed, mostly "horror light". Might entertain young people and those of a nervous disposition, but not, I feel, any classics of the genre here. Still, it passed the time on a long and tedious train journey, so all was not lost!
on 5 February 2015
Not what I would call horror, but a fair read with well written stories.
on 1 December 2015
I wasn't expecting much, but was gripped by the stories. Particularly enjoyed "king of rats" "Messenger" and "Dead Lily Blooms". Well worth a read.
on 16 December 2015
Not scary and too much romance for my liking. One or two stories clever and some useful names of new authors to follow up
on 24 April 2016
to be fair not the best anthology i have read
on 8 November 2015
not bad ,just could not get into this book.
on 19 June 2015