Prey (Xbox 360)
|Price:||£18.71 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service Amazon offers sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's warehouses, and Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service on these items. Something Amazon hopes you'll especially enjoy: FBA items are eligible for and for Amazon Prime just as if they were Amazon items.
If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfilment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about this programme .
- Built on an enhanced Doom 3 engine, the most impressive 3D engine used in a released game
- Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles
- Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk
- Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy
- A deep, emotional story of love and sacrifice
- Tommy has a sidekick, a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship
- Multiplayer game support that takes advantage of the unique gameplay styles in Prey
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Platform: Xbox 360
- BBFC Rating: Suitable for 18 years and over. Not for sale to persons under age 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or over.
- Media: Video Game
- Item Quantity: 1
In a nutshell:
Although it was announced more than a decade ago this demonstrates that the best things really do come to those that wait, with the most original and technically advanced first person shoot em-up in years.
Although it was conceived at a time when 3D graphics cards were still optional the basic idea behind the Prey portal technology is still the same as it ever was, allowing you to instantly step from one world to another in the game. You can even create the portals yourself as you battle grotesque enemy bosses in one area and jump back to another to recover. The game casts you as a Cherokee Indian with a number of magical powers such as spirit walking that let you explore the game world as a spirit, and deathwalk which replaces the normal need for intrusive quick saves with an innovative mini-game set between the worlds of the living and the dead.
Most exciting moment:
Not only is the portal technology amazing but the games use of gravity is equally inspired with gravity escalators that run up and across ceilings and some excellent zero gravity sections where you pilot spaceship pods and explore a tiny rotating planetoid.
Since you ask:
Originally intended only for the PC, the Xbox 360 version is being developed by British team Venom Games, who previously created Rocky Legends for Ubisoft, and features an 8 player multiplayer mode.
The bottom line:
Looks like being one of the top predators in the shoot em-up world.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The story isn't overly original. Aliens invade Earth and beam up humans, then commit unspeakable acts upon them and there is only one man who can do anything about it... You.
You play Tommy, a Cherokee who is desperate to escape the trapping of the reservation, but his girlfriend, Jen, is desperate to stay. When the aliens abduct the both of you the race is on to save both Jen and yourself and get yourself back to Earth.
The game plays out like most other FPS games in the way that you have to run around shooting enemies and solving the odd puzzle. There are three ways to do this; in the Physical World, the Spirit World and the Death World.
The Physical World is exactly as it sounds, the physical, albeit alien, reality that surrounds Tommy. This is the world you will spend most time in and is where the various gravity effects come into play. In this game there are certain points where you can walk up the walls and on the ceilings, other points where you will need to completely flip the gravitational pull of the environment. At times this can become a little disorienting but that is all part of the fun. You need to use these gravity effects to progress, so they are not just a gimmick added on, but an essential part of the game.
As Tommy is Cherokee he can allow his Spirit to leave his body. This is the Spirit World.Read more ›
Prey addresses these issues. Its innovative way of dealing with dying is fantastic. It keeps the game and the narrative alive. Not once did I chuck the controller in annoyance or give up. I played it through (it still took me a good month of on/off playing) to the very end.
The graphics are superb, and the production design incredible. So many jaw dropping moments will take you by surprise. The wow factor is second to none. The only flaw is that some of the corridor sections are a little repetitive. But, everything else outweighs this - even the load times won't send you insane.
If you are a games fan and appreciate quality - grab this. Its the best game of its type that I've played since Half Life and leaves Doom 3 and the rest in its wake.
Many reviews so far have compared this to Quake 4, that is fair as both are somewhat set in the same environment with the same characteristics, except that Quake 4 was an average game at best, with poor cutscenes, average game physics, mediocre graphics, and pretty poor gameplay. Prey on the other hand is a first class game. Heres why:
- The graphics, despite other reviews, are actually pretty impressive (admittedly I am playing on an HD capable TV) and are a step up from Doom 3. To give you an idea take the graphics from Oblivion (all shiny and polished), give them a slightly more dirty feel but the same definition and mix in much darker lighting and there you have Prey.
- The sound is very good with brilliant voice acting all around. The music really does add effect where it is used, the sound effects are good and there are enough to keep things interesting but not too many as to confuse you.
- The gameplay is fantastic, this is where Quake 4 came crashing down, it became monotinous and to be honest was just run and gun with no real inteligence required. Prey is very different, it can be run and gun, but the weapons aren't quite poweful enough to allow you to survive long if you do that. As such running taking cover using various weapons functions to eliminate particular enemies is the name of the game.
This is made interesting by the use of portals and 'wall walks'.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
HYBRID SCI-FI SHOOTER THAT WILL TWIST YOUR BRAINS IN A KNOT..?
Do not buy this game its gave me headaches and migrainesPublished 15 months ago by Charlie Henry George Funnell
ok, so this game is pritty old now and the graphics show that. But this review is going to focus purely on the game. This came out back in 2006 and wowed everyone. Read morePublished on 26 Aug. 2014 by Earwig
silly game! its a ok gamn eif you like that kinda thing but i ordered it on a whim and its crap!Published on 12 Feb. 2014 by emma
I brought this for my friend for Christmas and she said it was really good, and really enjoyed the gamePublished on 3 Feb. 2014 by Miss K. Penfold