on 5 August 2011
The photo used for this item is misleading, as the item sent was one of the 'little books', it is not 'from the original manuscript' as stated, which is a much larger edition, and more comprehensive!!! Although it as gone to a good home, the purchase was disappointing.
on 5 January 2013
I missed out on Beatrix Potter as a child, living in rural Wales.
When my children were small my dad brought some of her books for his grand daughter and they still passed me by as I thought talking animals rather twee. Luckily both my husband and my father read to the children and I agreed that the illustrations were lovely.

However I recently heard a radio programme about BP and this book especially. The story is almost true, as the tailor was ill while making the mayor's clothes, the only difference being that his apprentice secretly did the work.
It was the research that the young author undertook which most interested me. I enjoy all things to do with textiles and threads.
Beatrix spent time in a nearby museum sketching the clothes of the period and pulled a button off her coat so that she could watch a tailor sew it back on. She even asked him to sit on his table and used the sketch.So now I am a fan.
on 14 February 2012
I can remember the first time I read this. It was the very first book I borrowed from the Public Library in Lima, Ohio. I was so pleased that I knew how to pronounce 'Gloucester' at the ripe old age of six. (Massachusetts born and raised parents and Gorton's Cod Fish Cakes helped.)

The story enchanted me then and it continues to enchant me. This is the Potter book I give to young children. It's lovely illustrations of tiny mice in beautiful dresses and waistcoats are a joy.
on 25 April 2001
One of Beatrix Potter's longer and more sophisticated tales, which can be enjoyed by the adult reader as well as the child. Mice repay a good turn by helping a poor tailor at Christmas time - this might sound like a rather sentimental theme but it is executed charmingly. The prose is beautiful to read too - I would really recommend this to anyone who is fed up with reading their kids the poorly-written "dumbed down" stuff so often offered up to children!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 January 2016
I have been to Gloucester, and the building where the real-life tailor's shop was is still there, and so is the arch it is next to. (From memory, it is now a tea room.) So when I saw these buildings in the 1903 illustrations, and the comments about it being near "College Court", I had a real thrill of recognition.

This is a beautiful fairy tale for 4+ years. In the eighteenth century, a poor and elderly tailor has a commission to make a gorgeous waistcoat and coat for the Mayor to be married in on Christmas Day. He cuts out all the cloth - I'm also a stitcher, and I enjoyed the lavish descriptions of the thread and fabric and plans for embroidery - then closes up his shop and staggers off home in the snow to bed, where he rages with fever for a number of days.

Simpkin, his fat tabby cat, is very cross, because the tailor has freed all the mice that he was keeping under teacups for his supper, so he hides the package of thread that is needed to finish the last buttonhole. The grateful mice however, round up all their friends and infiltrate the shop, where they do all the sewing themselves in tiny little mouse-stitches, while singing rude nursery rhymes about stupid cats. (Beatrix Potter has a great sense of humour.) Simpkin, who is prowling through the streets on Christmas Eve, hears them, as well as the songs of all the other animals of the city - because there's an old legend that animals can talk on Christmas Eve.

When the tailor's fever breaks, he wakes up on Christmas morning to find a very repentant Simpkin offering him a cup of tea (this is my favourite illustration in the whole book - when did you last see a cat looking repentant?), and is delighted to discover that all the work is done, apart from one buttonhole.

There's a poignancy to it, because it's a reminder of how incredibly hard life was in those days. And there are a number of beautiful pictures of little mice in ornate gowns and suits of the period.
on 5 February 2013
The book was exquisite and much more mature than in the other books - apparantly it was her favourite of all her books - the details in the drawings are wonderful with tiny detail and quite beautiful. Thanks
on 30 April 2013
I loved reading this book because it reminds me of my childhood. I can remember watching it and I loved the way the pictures were drawn. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading classic books and to anyone with young children.
on 20 March 2015
As I am from gloucester I wanted to buy both my children the book as a keep sake they remember the story from when they were little, so something to pass onto their children when the time comes
on 9 January 2014
Grandchildren loved it - it is also being read by the grown ups of the family. There is an element of truth in this particular book which makes it all the more interesting.
on 15 July 2015
Wonderful story, lovely old fashioned language (though possibly difficult for a modern reader to understand). A real delight for Christmas time.