Style Name: 300M Access Point/WiFi Booster|Change

on 23 April 2016
RE: AP500 AC19000

This product appears to still be in its first iteration of firmware and in one evening I seem to have encountered a number of bugs. As a previous owner of the TPLINK WA901ND, I expected a similar experience but with better throughput. I got the opposite.

Set as Multi SSID - I noticed that in spite of setting the AP with a static IP, it was repeatedly running DHCP requests for a particular IP address (192.168.1.215) filling the log with failed attempts. My DHCP server confirmed that it was receiving this request. Why does it need to do this if I've manually assigned one already? This hints at poor quality code to me.

In Multi SSID mode - I could no longer whitelist MAC addresses per SSID as I could on the 901ND. This is a step back in functionality on a much more expensive box. I also don't appear to be able to manage the unit outside of the subnet it resides in (yes I did set a gateway), which is poor.

But the odd thing that I simply cannot fathom is why it appears that anything running through this AP has repeated problems trying to make DNS queries. Frequently, pages take an age to load - waiting for name resolution to finish. Sometimes they never load and just timeout. One minute it works and the next minute it doesn't.

I did wonder whether it was something to do with my internal DNS servers - but nslookup checks against external DNS servers (e.g. 8.8.8.8) seemed to get the same issues - name resolution hung and hence, pages failed to load.

The moment I put my WA901ND back - without changing anything else in my infrastructure, everything just worked again.

In its current form, the AP500 AC1900 is, in my humble opinion, a complete turkey. For the money TP-LINK are asking for it (3 times the WA901ND), they're having a laugh, and I certainly don't have the time to waste hanging around for them to churn out better version of the firmware to fix their rather odd problems.

Mine is going back in the box and I'll be asking for my money back.
on 18 February 2015
Overall opinion of this as a product is that in general it is a good product, especially for consumer use, however it is let down on a specific point by a flaw in the firmware (unfortunately this was the reason I purchased it) and on some other minor issues that would probably not affect the general consumer. Having discussed at length with TP-Link support they accepted that their product could not perform completely as described in their advertising and indeed in the manual. Further details below. If, of course, none of the below bad points apply to you, then this is potentially a 5 star product, but if they do it becomes an infuriating "so nearly" product.

The Good
----------------
1) Easy to set up
2) Provides lots of functionality such as VLAN and Multi SSID (but potentially not together read below!)
3) Price

The Bad
---------------
1) If using multi SSID with VLAN the WA801ND removes the option for WPA Enterprise security leaving you with only personal WPA. Therefore for an office environment where you may have a public network on a separate VLAN and your enterprise network secured by WPA enterprise this product cannot provide the functionality to connect to both networks. Individually it can work as if you switch off VLAN you regain WPA Enterprise, but then you need two access points to cover both networks rather defeating the point of having the device. Not a Problem for many using this device, but beware if you are!!
2) TP-Link support was very poor in my dealings with them. It would appear that their first line support are reading from the manual and their notes and if your issue goes beyond this there is no further assistance. It took me a fair few phone calls before I could get through to somebody that I could make understand the issue and in the end I diagnosed the problem myself and provided them with the information. There was no option given of a second line support, however I was informed that it would be passed back to their development team for consideration.
3) Whilst advertised as being PoE, I found that it drew too much power for any of my PoE switches to run the product. However it does work fine if injecting power into the line using the supplied adapter.
on 2 May 2016
A neutral review as the product is great value for money but I couldn't get it to work reliably as a normal AP. Fine for 10-20 minutes after a power on then refused to accept connections and unable to get to the management page. This must be a one off but doesn't inspire confidence. I sent back and decided not to get a replacement at this time as I also found the product to be so light that it wouldn't stay where you placed it, needs a chunk of weight added inside.
on 6 February 2016
I set this up at my parents house and took no more than 10 mins.
Used to extend WiFi signal using a wired connection straight from their Virgin router.
Plugged RJ45 into AP and switched on.
For a wired connection select Access Point mode.
Create your SSID (name of your network)
Select region
Channel - for me I left it on Auto
Wireless security select WPA/WPA2-PSK

I had no issues connecting smart phones, notebooks, tablet and NowTV box.
As a test I remotely connected to my Synology box and streamed a movie to the NowTV box (hacked back to Roku). All worked perfectly with no buffering.
So far I have had no support calls so can safely assume its working fine.
For the price, ease of use and stability I would not hesitate to recommend this product.
on 11 January 2016
I've been using the WA801ND to 'move the wifi' into the middle of my home, as the modem/router is situated at the far end of the building. To this end, it's worked great. I have it on a 20 metre Cat5e cable, and because it's PoE (power over ethernet) that means it doesn't need to be near a socket. Perfect.

As some other reviewers have pointed out, it can behave oddly at times. For the first couple of months, certain sites (YouTube, reddit) would 'freeze up' for 5 minutes at a time, then suddenly start working again. However, after trying everything else, I replaced the rubbish ADSL router it was plugged into - a free one I was given by my ISP - and now everything's fine.

I've taken one star off, though, because it's 2.4 GHz only, and some devices (Chromecast Audio) can see it but refuse to connect to it, which is extremely annoying.
on 12 July 2016
Ok.. First off the bat, I've got to say that I bought this to extend the wifi around my house - as the one we have just doesnt cut it..
The aerials are somewhat longer than the router I have, so I tried replacing them first. Tested it in a location in the garden and got 5Mbps. With the TPLink aerials I got 16Mbps from the same spot.. I tried this a few times and got the roughly the same result.
From now on, anyone that posts technical data on why replacing aerials does no good is (IMHO) full of it...
Anyway, back to the access point. Range seems to be decent, even with the smaller aerials, but I only need it to cover a relatively small area of the house.
So happy enough.. :)
on 10 August 2016
Not a huge fan of TP-Link but they must be doing something right as they are everywhere and cheap. Interface take a small amount of getting used to coming from a mostly Netgear background.
Was going to give it 4 stars as it was TP-Link but thats not fair. Its been on site for a while now and not missed a beat. My own prejudices aside they do seem to have come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years in terms of reliability.
I have to say its good value for (not a lot of) money
on 9 March 2016
I expected a lot from this AP as i always vouch for TP-Link products but not this one. One of the main things i was looking for was VLAN support as i want to separate my personal devices from family and guess. Unfortunately the implementation in this product doesn't work well at all after a day I bought a ubiquiti AP which is by far a better product. For someone who worked in networking for 9+ years CCNA certified and going for CCNP i believe i have enough knowledge to set it up but it just wouldn't work with my home FW pfsense.
on 30 June 2016
I needed something that would happily be just an access point to provide a separate ssid without being a router.
Set up was easy and runs with it's own IP on the network, so can be remote managed over the network while running, unlike others I've had.
I'm only using the basic access-point capability but wanted more functionality (multi ssid etc) to future proof a little.
Does exactly what I wanted and more besides for a reasonable price.
Recommended 5*
on 4 July 2015
I've had this over 6 months and it has performed well and the browser based configuration set-up is quite good. I have found the antenna a bit loose and they can flop over if disturbed. Maybe there is a way of tightening them.

It has comprehensive configuration software if a little fiddly at times. I do like to set MAC filtering on to help with security, but initially had trouble determining the MAC number of my devices (some have it written on a label and other it's available via the devices software). I've now found the easiest way is to briefly Disable MAC filtering on the Wireless / Wireless MAC Filtering screen. Next go to the Wireless / Wireless Statistics screen and the MAC number should be displayed, if not hit Refresh. You can now write down the MAC number (you cannot copy and paste) and then return to the Wireless MAC Filtering screen and Add New. Best to set up each device in turn by just having wi-fi enabled on each device in turn. When all done hit the Enable button on the MAC filtering screen again.

I'm using my TP-Link device as an Access Point and have it connected to a Vigor broadband modem / router and run the whole set-up with static IPs addresses starting at 192.168.1.10 so I can set rules. When setting up the TP-Link device, on the Network LAN screen I set Static IP / IP address of 192.168.1.xx (where xx is my next available number) / sub net 255.255.255.0 and Gateway as 192.168.1.1 (my modem / router). I also set the modem / router Bind IP to MAC table to match the TP-Link device MAC number to the same xx IP address. Finally, I disabled the DHCP Settings in the TP-Link device, leaving the modem / router to do all the bindings. It all works!