on 21 February 2016
These worked perfectly out of the box and made me wonder about some comments about pairing problems and adding extra adapters.
I bought another pair of adapters (TL-PA4010). I managed to pair these to the TL-PA4030 using the "Pair Buttons" without any trouble.
To check them I loaded the TP-Link powerline utility.
1st problem: you have to run the utility as an Administrator.
2nd problem: I could not understand why I could not see the adaptor that was connected to the router (only 2 adaptors on), yet Internet access was there! It took me a while to realise that the adaptor the PC is connected to does not appear in the utility, it is referred to (when missing) as the local adaptor.
So if you want to give your local adaptor a name, it has to be done from a different PC! Or swap the Ethernet lead between adaptors.
3rd Problem: I decided to rename the Powerline network name using the utility. Immediately afterwards all communication ceased!
Not 100% sure why because I discovered the answer to Problem 2 last. I think maybe the utility renames all adaptors but not the local one.

So it can take ages to setup!
My TL-4030Kit didn't include the TP-Link Utility CD but the TL-PA4010 did. It can be downloaded from:
[...]
If you want to personalise your network, setup the adaptor name and network before pairing extra adaptors.
Hopefully this info will help others to setup a Powerline network.

Addon: Naming a network only seems to work locally i.e. for one PC, so it seems like a pointless exercise.
I'm now using my laptop and although it can "see" the other 2 adaptors, there is no network or adaptor names!
Almost forgot, how fast are they ? Well since I'm upgrading from 200AV, I wasn't expecting 500Mb/s.My broadband is 30Mb/s
and it can keep up with that,. PC to PC transfer with compressed data (.jpg) about 1MB/s. I'm happy with that.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Once you are up and running these babies really do make the dodgy wireless signal a thing of the past! Effectively communicating to your router using your existing electricity cabling in your house the extent of the knowledge you need for these is how to plug something into a socket and how to attach an ethernet (network) cable to them. They then provide fast reliable internet access which is rock solid stable.

Speeds can vary depending on the wiring in your house, and on very rare occasions they don't work at all (I think this has something to do with the way your electrical circuits are set up) but this has never been a problem for me personally and I now swear by this form of home network.

The addition of 3 ports on this model is also a nice welcome addition - it means (obviously) that you can connect 3 devices to each plug and share the joy!

Basically if you find your wifi a bit flakey then you really cant go wrong with a set of these!
on 19 March 2016
I bought a PA4030KIT in April 2015 to feed internet from my TP-LInk TD-W8960N router to my TV, Humax box and BluRay player. Until this week, the adaptors disconnected so frequently - even when no transmission is taking place - that I managed without iPlayer and most other things needing internet connection.

Earlier this week I decided to either (a) get the powerline adaptors working or (b) run an ethernet cable through the house from router (upstairs) to the locality of the TV (downstairs). I opened a ticket with TP-Link, asking for their advice, and received a very helpful and personalised reply by return. They gave a series of steps to take to establish the cause of the problem and initiate a cure, all tailored to my specific layout.

I carried out some of the recommended steps and the powerline adaptors have now been working perfectly for 3 days, rather than the previous 3 hours or so. Making sure all network cable connections were sound and moving the 'receiving' adaptor to a different mains socket seems to have done the trick.

My thanks to TP-Link for a good product and excellent after-sales service.
on 2 June 2015
I previously had a pair of TL-PA211 200Mbps and I did contact TP-Link to confirm they could co-exist and the PA4030 would still run at 500Mbps - they said yes, that each pair could be linked using different pairs of Network Names. Whether that is true or not I'm not sure as the installation was fraught.

The problem is that the configuration software gets confused when all four Adapters are installed. Further the Network Name is set on the network screen and not against each adaptor. I ended up as follows (slow device is my older Solar Monitor using the 200s and fast device is using the newer 500s to connect a Smart TV+Hi-fi). Note that I'm using the Adapters to connect non-PC devices to the LAN/WAN.

Removed 2 x 200Mbps Adapters linking Slow device and Router
Plugged in 2 x 500Mbps Adapters and connected one to the Router and one to my PC
Ran TP-Link Powerline Utility as Admin on the PC
On Network screen could see both 2 x 500Mbps Adapters but only the password for the one connected to PC
Clicked Modify for Adapter connected to Router and entered password
Went to Status screen and set Network Name to TV+HiFi
Went to Network screen but now could only see the Adapter connected to PC
Swapped the ethernet cables over (i.e. other adapter is connected to PC). Now see just the other Adapter.
Went to Status screen and set Network Name to TV+HiFi for that Adapter
Went to Network screen and can now see both Adapters and speed of 480Mbps

Plugged in the 2 x 200Mbps Adapters linking Solar Monitor and Router but cannot see them
Went to change Status screen to Solar without clicking Apply but this does not show the 2 x 200Mbps Adapters

Removed the 2 x 500Mbps Adapters and just has the 2 x 200Mbps Adapters
Repeated earlier steps as for 500s but chose a different Network Name of Solar

Finally
Connected the 2 x 500Mbps Adapters to the TV+Hi-Fi and the Router
Connected the 2 x 200Mbps Adapters to the Solar Monitor and the Router
Connected the PC to the Router
On TP-Link Powerline Utility Network screen could not see any Adapters but they are transferring data.

So, it seems to be working but I cannot monitor anything (including speed) as the TP-Link configuration software can only monitor if one of the adapters is plugged into the PC's ethernet connection.
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2015
I have about 14 of these through the house. They provide an easy way to extend our personal network. I have fitted CAT 6 Ethernet cables to each powerline adapter to device, and although the CAT 6 is rated 1000Mbps, and the adapters are 500Mbps, I think the real actual speed we are getting is circa 300Mbps. But even so this feels faster than the 200Mbps powerline adapters we had before (that actually only delivered circa 80Mbps).The speeds advertised with these devices from all suppliers are not the speeds you will get in real use.

These work well. We have had no problems so far, after several months of use for these adapters, similarly the adapters in the same family that only have one Ethernet socket have worked flawlessly for several years.

These are great, I definitely recommend.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I'm not sure whether it's the wiring in my house or the units, but I'm unable to get more then 10MB/s (80mbps) max transfer from them. This is less than I'm able to get over Wifi. The house is only a year old, so the mains wiring should be to the latest standards.

I also notice that when I connect an ethernet cable from one of the ports on a TP-Link adapter to my Gigabit switch, the port turns yellow (100Mbps) not green (1Gbps) which makes me wonder. Shouldn't they be connecting at Gbit speeds to be able to transmit at more than 200Mbps?

I see others have had good experiences with the units, so I can't say this is an inherent issue, but it's worth noting that you're not guaranteed to get the full 500Mbps stated (or anything like it in my case).

On the plus side, they are supremely easy to set up - press the buttons on each of the devices for a few seconds and they start talking to each other without any problems at all.

I just hope you have better luck with throughput performance than me.
on 30 April 2014
"500Mbps" devices with only 100Mbps NICs? Tsk Tsk.

Ignoring that, they've pretty convenient and work reasonably well. Depending on your house wiring, result will vary a huge amount. E.g. accessing my NAS behind the TV from a bedroom only gives me garbage 3Mbps with these units (I get 60-90Mbps when moved to the main switch). So your mains wiring is very much a factor. The units, regardless of where they are, talk to the one connected to the Internet at a good 40-50Mbps in my experience. So for net access they do the job, but compared to regular internal networking, they're pretty pants for me. It's as if they're all talking through a central node.

The software these come with (which you don't really need unless you're going to rename the default network to avoid potential clashes with neighbours) is terrible. It's very clumsy and looks like it was written by a hardware engineer as a quick test application. Nodes strangely register a meagre 10Mbps with their software, other than the main one connected to the router which might show as 300Mbps. If I move the laptop to another node, I get the same figures but the nodes' values have shifted around. Very odd. I ignored their values as they don't reflect reality. The 10Mbps is likely to be a default/fallback value. I've seen reports claiming that's what it reports when not in use, but that doesn't explain the value when it is in use.

The reason why I quite like these, but don't rave about them is that they're better than dealing with wifi woes and they've been very solid in performance, even if that performance is nothing like the advertised throughput.

I see they're now doing 1gbps NICs on newer models that came out about 3 seconds after I ordered mine, so if you're reading this, you'll probably want to go for them instead. I have 4 of these units, they do their job, but they're way off being a real ethernet solution for houses where you can't install proper networking cable, but a step up on wifi if you get a crappy signal in parts of your property.

Support is spotty, it's mostly the fans leading the blind. The company appear to ignore what users ask. Just check their forums to see what I mean.
on 22 February 2016
UPDATE March 2017
I never got round to returning so I donated these to a friend as they wanted to establish if they would work in their house as a test - if they would function then they would buy some others that did not drop out as these constantly did in my house.
Six months on and they have never dropped out once (according to their son who uses them to connect his Xbox in bedroom to router downstairs) so it seems as though the issue might be the combination of my router/system rather than the units themselves. Hence why so many other purchasers have no problem at all.
I brought them home again for a quick test and still drops out in my house but not at theirs so have let my friend keep them as no use to me.

[original review]
Unfortunately another example of dropping out randomly, does not matter if the connection is active or not.

Happens when paired together with nothing else on the network and also individually when I paired one at a time with a new ZyXEL PLA4225 I purchased after reading poor reviews to replace these.

I really need the multi port output for all my devices in my home cinema but the unreliability of these means they are being returned and I will go with another make.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
5 ethernet 10/100 connections in two rooms is what you get out of the box. It is very easy to follow the instructions and get the functionality, I gratefully read through most of the other experiences outlined in the reviews and managed to get through the installation process painlessly. The indicator lights are a reassuring feature although I wonder if a status light for each port (like TP Link's switch offerings) would add to the ease of monitoring.

The speed is measurably faster than my old homeplugs (300Mbps) or wi-fi which I suppose allows the extra devices to be supported comfortably, I have a growing number of devices that require wired connection to the home network and this comes in very useful. Furthermore there is a sense of increased reliability on the connection in terms of outages and "hanging".

The usual caveats apply. Make sure the plugs are on the same main circuit (larger houses may have two or more). It is best to do a fresh pairing if you are adding a third homeplug. A power failure also may require a hard reset of pairing.

I would recommend this very strongly if you do not need Gigabit speeds.
on 12 May 2015
Setup was very fast and it works perfectly. However, we are getting speeds of just 100Mbps. This is disappointing because we paid extra for the 500Mbps version. I don't doubt that the device is capable of 500Mbps, and the issue might be down to the computers we are using, the DSL rooter, or even the electrical system in our home. Regardless, we are still happy with the solution as it is more reliable and faster than the wireless network we were using.

Wireless is getting faster all the time, but wired solutions (even over the powerline) are still more reliable in most cases, and for that reason I would recommend this solution (if you don't fancy wiring your house with Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 network cables.) It is also nice to cut down on some of the radio waves bouncing around the house.