Colour Name: Black|Change
Price:£1.29+ Free shipping

on 1 February 2015
Contrary to other reviews, this device will work with Windows 8, though I did have to re-install a driver. I use it to play music via my bluetooth speakers, though it occasionally gets interference from other signals e.g. my phone / wifi, causing the sound to become choppy.

Below is a simple guide of how to fix the driver. Disclaimer: This worked for me though I make no guarantees for you.

* Plug in the adapter, Windows automatically starts installing some drivers, wait for that to finish.
* Open 'Control Panel' >> 'Device manager'
* Expand 'Bluetooth'

Here should be "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" or something similar. If it's there, and the bluetooth icon has popped up in the tray then you are good to go. However in my case, Windows installed "Generic Bluetooth Radio" instead. So...

* Right click "Generic Bluetooth Radio"
* Select "Update driver software"
* Select "Browse for driver software on my computer"
* Select "Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer"
* Now "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" should be on the list, select it and click 'Next'
* Correct driver will now install, may need to restart computer for changes to take effect.

You can now pair your PC with your bluetooth device. This is really beyond the scope of a product review but I'll include it anyway.

* Open up 'Control Panel' >> 'Devices and Printers'
* Right click 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' >> 'Bluetooth settings'
* Check "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" >> 'OK'
* Put your device (e.g. phone/speakers) into visible / pairing mode
* Now click the bluetooth icon in the tray
* 'Add a bluetooth device'
* ALTERNATIVELY: in METRO mode, Open 'PC Settings' >> 'PC and Devices' >> 'Bluetooth'
* Wait for the device to be found, then click 'Pair'.
* NOTE: this seems pretty temperamental. My speakers were found after about 30 seconds, though my phone took several attempts to find. If your device is not found, try moving it closer to the adapter then try again.
* If you are asked to enter a password, try 0000 as this is the default for most speakers.
* Finally, uncheck "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" in 'bluetooth settings' if you want.
review image
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2008
I plugged this into a rear USB port of a Dell laptop running windows XP-Pro, and there it has stayed for months - it's so small that you barely notice it, although I do take care to pack the laptop in the bag with the dongle to the top. It uses the Microsoft drivers (much nicer than BlueSoleil) and is very easy to pair with, for example, mobile phones. I even bought a second one for my work PC.
44 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2009
I bought this to fit my laptop. Plugged it in, switched on, found and paired my headset and phone. It also works seamlessly with Kubuntu Linux, which makes a refreshing change.
What I like is its neatness. I can bag the laptop and there's no protrusion to catch and break, which is what happened to the last bluetooth adapter.
on 14 June 2009
For £2.90 including postage this was an absolute bargain. I plugged it into my XP Acer Aspire One netbook and it was instantly noticed (same for my XP desktop downstairs). I was able to easily pair my mobile (Sony Ericsson) and transfer a few pictures from PC to phone and phone to PC. I was also able to instantly use my phone as a remote control! When I moved the arrows (D-Pad) on my phone, it move the cursor on my netbook, and the left and right clicks worked aswell! This is brilliant for presentations etc. I even played GTA: Vice City with the remote! However, the best bit was that I was instantly able to wirelessly tether my mobile to my netbook. I can now share my phone's internet connection with my netbook when I'm out of range of my wi-fi without having to install any awful, complicated Sony Ericsson drivers

Delivered in about 4 days from ordering, this is a brilliant piece of kit. The rounded semi-circular design is without a doubt the best because it makes it seem even smaller and reduces any risk of it getting caught and pulled out. However, on my Aspire One, it does still stick out my about 9mm, but the benefits far outweigh this 9mm!

It looks a bit tacky in the photograph, but when you receive it, it feels quite a lot nicer. It'll probably remain hidden inside a USB port on your PC anyway, so you won't even notice it's presence. I would highly recommend this over any other mini bluetooth dongle available on Amazon. It is cheaper, and it also supports A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets, so you can listen to music from your PC via bluetooth, whereas some of the more expensive dongles don't have this feature.

I would definitely recommend this dongle, and if you don't like it you can return it or throw it away for £2.90!

on 9 May 2010
For it's price, this is a neat little item to add to your computer. Here's my take on it. I would buy this for basic bluetooth functionality (pairing mobiles). For more advanced bluetooth features on Windows I'd go for the marginally pricier Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter * Class 2 which has excellent bundled software. Fedora 12 recognises and loads the drivers for this dongle automatically.

Mine has a CSR chip inside. It did not come with a driver disk (BlueSoleil). Wrote to the seller and received a good response. Was sent a link to download the driver from their website (v2.7.0.35 VOIP release). From what I read on the net, the Windows XP bluetooth drivers are pretty basic (would probably be ok for mobile phone data transfer). I wanted to use all the available bluetooth profiles and hence wanted the driver that the product was supposed to ship with. When I installed the Bluesoleil software it told me that it was working in an evaluation mode with 5MB limit. On writing to Bluesoleil support, they suggested that I upgrade to the paid version of the driver!

So I went ahead and bought a Belkin one for my Windoze laptop and use this one for my Fedora 12 box. I was able to use the Headset and A2DP profiles on the Linux box in addition to standard mobile phone pairing and file transfer.

<== This may be of interest to Linux users ==>

ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.14
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2009
I was a bit apprehensive in buying this dongle as a few other reviews I had read had problems installing it on Windows Vista. Not so, when you plug the tiny dongle in it doesn't require the installation disk provided and installs all drivers automatically. It means no messy Blue Soliel software as well (which I really dislike) and best of all no silly expensive updates if your lose the installation disk.

The dongle is tiny and can be kept well out of the way, much better than the large unsightly USB sticks I had before. I've so far used it with my Nokia mobile which worked well and synced up very quickly. Couldn't be happier, especially for the price.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2009
I bought two of these dongles. One for my PC and one for my laptop. Initially i was quite happy with the product. After about 2 weeks the PC repeatedly connected to found blue tooth harware and then lost connection a few minutes later, this occurred for the next few weeks until it eventually died (the LED inside went out also).

The dongle in the laptop just died all of a sudden about a month after purchase (again the LED went out too).

They're are cheap but they fail after about a month, i wonder if thats the reason for the price?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't buy.
66 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2010
This dongle wont work with windows 7, after an hour of troubleshooting i came up with this error 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)' and it just wont work
on 25 September 2009
I don't usually bother writing reviews, but have had to make an exception with this. it is totally useless! The software that comes with it (Blue Soleil) is only a demo version and is supposedly limited to 5 mb of transfer. Oh to be able to actually transfer anything! Couldn't detect my phone even when placed within touching distance neither could the phone detect the device, tho' the phone has no trouble with my car hands free device. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times without success. Then tried letting windows (XP Home) install the dongle, which it said it had done. Again no detection in either direction. I bought two - one for my PC and one for my daughter's laptop and neither work on either machine.
if you want to waste hours of your time and spend money (admittedly not much) on total frustration this is the kit for you! I would have given it NO stars if I could.
on 16 June 2012
Please note this item DOES NOT work with windows 7.

There are built in drivers but windows has blocked it from there update as it can cause harm to the computer. Some reviews will say it works with Windows 7 but those would be older reviews, before Microsoft's updates.