on 20 March 2014
Well it got off to a good start. Then it took off in various bizarre directions with a murderous megalomaniac. I thought some of the details about coping abroad and being permanently exiled from a disaster zone which was a vast graveyard were quite interesting. I just got really fed up with all the chopping and changing. This writer can't decide if he is writing a survival book, or a thriller or even just a diary.
on 30 August 2014
Having read and really enjoyed the first book Snow, I was really looking forward to reading the follow up, but, was sadly disappointed.

While I appreciated the need for some background for those not having read Snow, the endless repetition of who was who and what happened was too much for me.

I also thought there was too much of the 'military/government/managerial' stuff, I wanted to read about the people and how they were affected because of the thaw, maybe that came later, but I had given up by then!
on 8 June 2014
Really enjoyed "Snow" but was disappointed to find that in "Thaw" our main protaganist seems to have changed personality half way through and the story-line has started to become very less credible with various unbelievable characters. I thought the change in writing between Snow & Thaw was a a great shame.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2014
Snow the first book Ryan Clifford's trilogy was well written and technically almost without fault and book 2, Thaw, follows on in the same way. With the British isles under tens of feet of snow due to freak weather there is a total break down of society and millions of casualties. Then the thaw eventually sets in but the only result is even greater catastrophe and yet more deaths. Hero's and villain's cross the pages along with those who just want to survive in a tapestry that is quit breath taking in it's bleakness.

In his writing Ryan Clifford manages to capture the sense of desperation that the survivors of such a disaster would feel and sometimes this reader felt quite depressed but this is a disaster story and the authors skill is making the story always have hope.

I recommend this book, it's good.
on 29 January 2015
Nothing compared the Snow! which was a compelling and fascinating read. This book reads like it's been written by someone else. Or the author just got bored and changed his mind about the type of book he was reading. Disappointing but nowhere near as disappointing as the third book in the trilogy, Flood!. Flood is not really anything to do with a flood and seems to be written by someone else yet again with silly gratuitous sex scenes and silly unbelievable characters.
on 22 April 2014
I really enjoyed Snow! and posted a very positive review here to prove it. The sequel is, well, a bit soggy. The dialogue is stilted and doesn't have the tone of real conversation. The Royal Family segments made my toes curl and eventually I just skipped them. The sense of claustrophobia and accelerating doom from the first volume was missing. The megalomaniac, Machiavellian main character was vaguely interesting, although a good dramatic opportunity was missed with the story of the Townsends. So, I was disappointed, although it wasn't all bad and there's just enough storyline to make me consider the third instalment. But it's published in early 2015! Why? With the best will in the world this isn't exactly high art, how can it take so long to knock out a story with half the plot lines clearly already written? Anyway, enough carping from me; half marks,
on 21 May 2014
I must admit that the writing is in the style of the main early teen character and her thoughts are limited, but then you think yes they would be given the circumstances as what she is experiencing is the norm not the 'veneer' as they call it That being said I do have empathy with the characters who are on a seemingly hopeless mission to their utopia and you can't help wondering how it will end. I am addicted and can't wait for the next installment,. I hope the dog survives.
on 16 January 2015
This book is so dramatic there are so many things going on and I loved it! Will Ann Fletcher get what she wants? Onto Thaw! I cannot wait to read it! The scary thing about this book is that when I started it it was pretty much the same date as the book!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2014
The story,as with the previous in the series snow, take some believing. What if the climate changed as in the novels?
How would Britain cope?
The author writes in such a way that it certainly makes it a book that you will find difficult to put down.
I think that Thaw had a better story line than his previous
on 14 May 2014
This was a great sequel to "Snow." Having opened my eyes to the potential horror of 3 weeks of snow, I was intrigued how the aftermath would be handled. The storyline continued to keep me enthralled and I 'm really looking forward to the next book in the trilogy.