Synthetic Socialism: Plastics and Dictatorship in the German Democratic Republic Hardcover – 15 Feb 2009
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A brilliant analysis of how plastics are . . . essential to understanding East German Socialism, the nature of its dictatorship, and even Germany's role in the cold war. . . . An outstanding contribution to East German and consumer studies, particularly in its examination of GDR society. This exceptional book presents a bold argument for understanding socialism and its legacy through material culture.--"Bookforum"
About the Author
ELI RUBIN is currently visiting scholar at the Zentrum fur Zeithistorische Forschung and fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Berlin. He is also assistant professor of history at Western Michigan University.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > History > Archaeology > Industrial Archaeology
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Engineering & Technology
- Books > History > Political History > Democracy
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Chemical > Industrial Chemistry
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Industrial Design