on 11 December 2017
While I was waiting for my favourite authors new book to be released I decided to go back to Grisham again after several years of avoiding him because his stories began to bore me. Past month I have read 3 of them and this one, Sycamore Row became number 4.
And wow! Started out great, in the middle I got a bit bored, but held on. And I am so glad I did! LOVED the end of it and want more stories about Jack now, but first I will pick up the first book by Grisham and Jack, wrong order I know, but Im crazy that way ;-) lol
Anyway, get this book!
review image
on 15 September 2014
John Grisham was one of the main influences when I was writing my novel, Crucial Evidence as he expresses so well what the work of a lawyer is about. In this novel Jake Brigance is once again battling racial prejudice when a rich white male, Seth Hubbard, kills himself and leaves the bulk of his wealth to his cleaning lady, a younger black female, and specifically disinherited his children and grandchildren. Hubbard has instructed Jake to fight any attempt by his family to set aside the will. The trial has its ups and downs and illustrates one of the interesting things about this type of novel - the reader is encouraged to form a view of the witnesses, the judges rulings and the jury's verdict.
Grisham understands the way lawyers work,( something that writers of police procedurals don't often show in their descriptions of police work) and their was one passage in Sycamore Row which I thought reflected my own feelings about being an advocate. Jake's wife asks him 'Why do you want to be a trial lawyer?'

And he gives this answer, 'Because I love it. It's what being a lawyer is all about. Being in a courtroom, in front of a jury, is like being in an arena, or on the field. The competition is fierce. The stakes are high. The gamesmanship is intense. There will be a winner and a loser. There is a rush of adrenaline each time the jury is led in and seated.'

Absolutely!
on 23 March 2017
Described as a sequel to A time to kill. It's not! It's a standalone story using the same characters , and a very good one too. John Grisham never lets us down, innovative and intelligent writing will always delight. There are some unanswered questions, such as how did Seth recognise Lettie? How did he know she even existed? For the most part these are posed as unknown answers within the terms of the plotting.
on 27 April 2017
As usual John Grisham is a superb story writer. It was gripping and entertaining. Based around the Deep South in the USA it is an amalgam of interwoven stories of the lives of the various characters, most prominently the white lawyer, the white businessman and his black housekeeper.
on 22 July 2017
Fans of John Grisham should not miss this book, one of his best I think. Very absorbing, exciting, interesting - you name it. A thoroughly enjoyable tale and very believable, could almost be a true story but of course it is a work of fiction. How does Mr Grisham do it!! Would highly recommend.
on 21 May 2017
Classic Grisham. Highly entertaining. Small town American lawyer from the deep South where segregation was still a problem,in the 80 s, battling over a contested will. A sequel to "A Time to Kill", but it works fine as a stand alone novel. I was just sorry when I finished it.
on 25 March 2017
I hadn't realised that this book was a sequel but not having read the earlier one that didn't detract from the enjoyment of a terrific read.
on 18 March 2017
Tense courtroom thriller. Love John Grisham's books, love the characters and love the build up to the final chapters.
on 16 September 2014
It beggars belief that black people can still be treated with contempt; degardation and humiliation by so called civilised society in the 20th and 21st centuries, read on.
Having read the prequel "A Time To Kill" I was keen to read "Sycamore Tree". Both based on the reprehensible treatment of black people in Mississippi in the 20th century and conveyed through a legal storyline, it was engrossing and distressing in equal measure.
Prior to reading "Sycamore Tree" I was unsure if this sequel would feel repetitive, John Grisham took care of that and had me entranced for hours within the story.
Great detail throughout with several strands of the story running at the same time kept me enthralled and with a terrific ending.
on 19 June 2017
I'm not a great book reader so to want to read a book it as to be good and as John Grisham writes excellent stories i have no to read his novels, also his stories as lead me to read other authors of the same calabor.