on 4 April 2008
I haven't finished this book yet, as I have only just "switched" from PC to iMac. However, the style is great, with just enough humour to make it an enjoyable read. The text is clear and concise, the diagrams useful, and the subject matter comprehensive.

My only word of caution, is that once you have "switched" you might find the Mac OS X Missing Manual is even more useful. Of course if money is no object, buy both!

Anyway, I am a wholehearted convert to the Missing Manual series now - I believe they are the best books in their genre.
on 19 June 2008
I bought this with my computer (sorry Amazon). Anyway; I've bought a few PC technical books in the past and found them tough going, I actually found myself enjoying reading this book; I will look out for other titles written by David Pogue.
As a side note it was a good job I did buy this book as you get no manual to speak of with a new i-mac
on 20 March 2009
As a new buyer of a Mac Pro I had no idea how to install programs or even find ones that were on my computer. This book lead me through the whole process in a fantastic jargon free way and gave me the confidence to get used to the Mac way of life. Thoroughly informative and entertaining, I felt I had a friend on the desk who spoke to me in a very helpful and encouraging way. There are also excellent side trips through the history of Macs, so you understand why they do things the way they do. Fantastic, indispensible book, Thoroughly recommended,
on 5 January 2010
I have just bought the latest MacBook and this book was written before the newest version of the Mac OS operating system so the book's use, I have found, is somewhat limited.

Of course not everything has changed, but when one is new to the Mac, those differences can be annoying and sometimes confusing. The book would have benefitted from being printed in colour I feel.

If like me, you have just bought the latest version of a Mac, don't buy this book; wait for the updates.
on 8 October 2009
I obtained this book about a week before my Mac arrived and thus I was able to skim through much of it before having the computer to work with. Another early step to transition was running the Safari browser on my old PC so I was getting attuned to the Apple way of doing things. All this was helpful.

As to the book itself, it is set out in a way which enables you to delve into it to find out about specific issues and it does have some useful listings of where to find the equivalent programs on or for a Mac and a keystroke list.

In terms of setting up the Mac to work from creating email accounts, to explaining the keyboard differences and understanding how the Home folder works, all is explained in very basic layman's terms. Note, however, that this is a US book and the keyboard explanations reference the US standard keyboard (which the book acknowledges)

Transitioning to Mac will almost certainly require the porting of data from your old PC (address files, Internet Favorites (Bookmarks in Apple-speak), files and email database). The options for doing this are explained in detail and my only real criticism of this book concerns the porting of email. It recommends the use of a product called Outlook2Mac ("O2M") which is good, cheap and quick if you have a small amount of email to transfer. The book also describes very well a more convoluted approach (called the Thunderbird method) which actually proves to be much more efficient than O2M when transferring large quantities (500MB+) of old email data. The issue is that the book doesn't flag that this method is actually better in these circumstances; in fact it still recommends the O2M method.

Overall, however, a good investment given that the Mac comes with very little pre-printed documentation.
on 6 November 2010
This book is a good basic guide. I was hoping for something a bit more network orientated, but this book is good in what it covers and is an easy read. This book is more aimed at someone who is used to PC's and wants to try using a Mac - it covers most of the basics in an easy to read and understand way. A lot of the stuff in this book is also covered in Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals).
on 2 February 2011
Brilliant book and a must have if you are switching to a Mac. Answered so many questions and still refer to t years later.
on 28 June 2015
Excellent idiots guide to using a mac and getting the best from it especially when transferring from a pc.
on 27 July 2014
should dip into it more often but a good, informative book
on 19 February 2015
Most helpful guide to using a mac.