- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Swing: A Beginner's Guide Paperback – 1 Oct 2006
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Essential Skills -- Made Easy!
Learn to program with Swing -- the framework that defines the look and feel of the modern Java graphical user interface. In this fast-paced guide, master programmer and bestselling author Herbert Schildt shows you how to develop sophisticated user interfaces with Swing. The book begins by describing Swing's architecture, design philosophy, and core concepts. It then examines the Swing component set, which includes buttons, check boxes, lists, trees, tables, menus, scroll bars, spinners, and scroll panes, to name just a few. You'll learn the fundamentals of each component and the techniques needed to use it and then see examples that demonstrate the component in action. By the time you finish this hands-on guide, you will be able to start creating your own professional-looking Swing-based applications.
Designed for Easy Learning:
- MODULES -- Each concept is divided into logically organized modules (chapters), ideal for self-paced learning
- CRITICAL SKILLS -- Each module opens with the specific skills covered in the module
- MASTERY CHECKS -- End-of-module reviews test knowledge using short-answer and fill-in-the-blank questions
- ASK THE EXPERTS -- Q&A sections throughout are filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- PROGRESS CHECKS -- Quick self-assessment sections check your progress
- PROJECTS -- Practical exercises show you how to apply the critical skills learned in each module
- ANNOTATED SYNTAX -- Example code annotated with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated
About the Author
Herbert Schildt is the author of dozens ofprogramming books, which have sold more than 3.5 millioncopies worldwide. His books are so widely used that it hasbeen said that he taught a generation of programmers toprogram. Schildt is an authority on C, C++, C#, and Javaand is an expert Windows programmer.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Good points of this book are that it guides you through a challenging introduction to the common Swing components, some a bit advanced. There are good examples that are not overwhelming.
Disadvantages would be: When you go to implement a GUI you will understand the components and the models behind them but may still be wondering how to form all that knowledge into a working application front end because the book is more focused on specific controls and their models. You have to figure out how to write your controller and integrate the Swing front end with it.
I'd be tempted to give this book four stars because it was very useful to me. However I will give it five only because it promises no more than it delivers. It is a whistle stop tour of Swing and a reference to the high points of the common components, in that respect it could serve as an introduction for beginners or a reference for those of us who have to use Swing for something but aren't buying the season ticket.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation