Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2009
This was the first Peter James book I read and I love a good haunted house story but little did I realise I'd be jumping everytime a door creaked at home for a week afterwards, and that was during the daytime...

It is a throughly well written thriller/horror with a strong protagonist whose fiesty determination to uncover the truth makes her likeable.
There are some haunting incidences that really stay with you.

James' ability to build tension and to keep a pacey narrative turns this book into a page turning, heart thumping, ghost train of a ride.
The shocks keep you on the edge of your seat and sometimes you have to remind yourself to breathe.

As the plot unravelled I found myself figuring out the conclusion, but I'm not sure if this is what we were meant to do. But then I don't think the book was spoiled by this as the quality of the writing and the pace of the narrative are very rewarding.

Overall an excellent introduction to Peter James' spooky supernatural novels and one that will keep you guessing until the very last sentence...
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2007
Like many others l had read the 3 major titles of Mr James, and l couldn't wait another year for a new one. So l bought his back catalogue.
This is the first l have read.
Immediately on the introduction pages, it seemed to be Like James Herbert's
"The Secret of Crickley Hall", though Mr James's book was written well before James Herbert's. But that is where the familiarity stops.
Its a class of it's own, it is a horror book. Everyone has read
how people are killed by madmen, or Ghosts, as such, but l have
NEVER cringed like l did when the teapot incident happens,
o it's so real.
This is not like his 3 other books, but well worth searching out
for. The story is so believable, it does have a start, a middle
and an end, and a poignant one at that.
Not a murder detective, it's a Ghost detective, and Charley
is the girl.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 January 2008
I read this a little warily as I am not a fan of horror books but had enjoyed his recent 3 crime novels so much I wanted to give it a try. Having read it I wouldn't describe it as horror anyway, more supernatural. Whatever, it is certainly gripping and a real page turner, can't wait to read some of his other pre Roy Grace novels.
I came to this from “The House on Cold Hill” which many panned, but I found one of the better horror/supernatural books. This, I think an earlier novel, is even more impressive. Around many of the ingredients required by the genre, Peter James weaves a compelling and intelligent narrative which never releases its grip. The central character is most skilfully developed and James makes most effective use of ordinary, everyday experience to offset the more dramatic gothic elements. As yet I have only encountered one of the Superintendent Grace books, but for me anyway, this stands up very well by comparison. Gothic horror may not be in fashion but this a fine example of what can still be turned out in that genre.
on 8 November 2013
I chose to read this book by James because I'd read 'Dead Simple' which I enjoyed and thought this would be a good read too, but it was quite disappointing. It's not scary at all and I'm someone that scares easy! However, I didn't mind that part so much, I was just hoping for lots of shocks and maybe a twist at the end, but it's very predictable. I knew how the end would turn out long before I neared the end. I would not recommend reading this book of Peter James's, it's too boring.
on 16 September 2011
i would decribe this as a kind of afternoon horror story . Its not the scariest ever but it is certainly an edge of seat ghost story . Charley moves to a run down house and feels she has been there before. Slightly disappointed by the end , I thought that she ended up with the wrong man .
on 1 December 2007
I read this book several years ago and found it compelling and a real page-turner, even though I don't normally read 'horror' type books. I found the whole past life regression aspect fascinating. I think it is better than his more recent detective novels.
on 28 December 2015
I am a fan of the Roy Grace detective stories but decided to try something different over a few days' holiday at Christmas. Ended up starting this one evening and finishing it the next. Found it hugely compelling, gory, intriguing and mostly fairly believable. Recommended.
on 6 February 2014
Being a Roy Grace fan, I am waiting for No. 10. In the meantime, I decided to read The Perfect Murder on my Kindle and enjoyed that, so I thought I'd try Sweet Heart. I was thinking "For Goodness sake, leave out some of the descriptive detail and get on with it!" but stuck with it just because it was by Peter James. It's not the normal storyline I would read either, but I continued. However, I did get to a point where I could not put it down, and when I finally went to bed I couldn't sleep because my heart was racing. It has not made me want to read any more ghost stories.
on 26 January 2013
I love Peter James' writing, almost always, so I really wanted to like this and there were lots of good things about it; the writing swept you along and was as descriptive and flowing as usual. The characters were pretty well fleshed out and there were goodies and baddies and not always the ones you would expect. However I found the plot ridiculous, sort of Stephen King-ish but not as well rounded. I'm just too sceptical and found it difficult to know what was really happening and what was a delusion. I also felt like a lady trying to have children would recognise when she had obvious symptoms of pregnancy. I definitely prefer Peter's later work.