Customer reviews

on 18 June 2011
A previous 2007 reviewer rightly criticised out-of-date information, but that has been addressed by a 2009 edition. What I can't understand, however, and find very irritating, is that (uniquely, to my experience of Lonely Planet guides)the index doesn't cover all the places reviewed. So, for example, you will find Ostersund and Are in the Contents table on page 14, duly described in the book, but not listed in the index. Whose bright idea was that?!
on 13 August 2007
The Lonely Planet series has been excellent for other holidays I have made (such as Finland, Austria, Venice) so I took time to read the (then) current (3rd) edition months in advance of a short holiday in Sweden, and studied some parts very closely.
The early chapters are very upbeat - the authors are clearly thrilled by Sweden and are keen to share their enthusiasm. The history pages were well balanced and gave sufficient background to enable understanding of Sweden's present.
I have qualms with the up-to-datedness of some details which I relied on (having found out the hard way with disappointed children in tow): the examples I am thinking of is the non-existent Ice Gallery at Osterlanggatan 41 (page 74) (it has been a clothes shop for the last three years) and the non-existent Svea Viking (page 85) (great old wooden ship done up to resemble a Viking longboat, moored outside the Royal Palace).
The other difficulty was that the maps (pages 68-69, page 80 & page 84) are nowhere nearly detailed enough to allow progressing on foot (a separate, indexed, map akin to an A-Z is needed).
All-in-all, the book remains useful but is not reliable so, unlike others in the series, it needs checking before committing yourself to a destination.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2012
Its an OK book, could do with being updated though..Great restaurants and things and tips on traveling round Sweden don't really change.
on 28 June 2014
I have about 15 of these books for different countries and they've never let me down.
on 17 January 2016
Useful for the maps and advice, but I guess that's all you get them for anyway!
on 21 May 2012
Sweden guide a few years out of date but the castles don't move. Has helped me book my summer trip.