on 16 June 2017
Good summer reading
on 11 April 2015
Hated this
on 19 March 2014
Stilted and unreadable. Disappointing as I had loved her factual book about renovating her house in Italy. It was wonderful and evocative with beautiful language. Everything this book lacks.
on 24 October 2004
This is a great book but like the other reviewers I was left stumped as to who actually 'did it'. You need to read it twice as there is just so much you miss the first time.
As soon as I finished it I read it again as I felt as if I was left hanging there. On the second reading you start to see things much more clearly and this is a really clever book that makes sure you do not put it down - you want more, more and then some more. You will be rewarded on the second reading.
on 29 October 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed this book mostly because of the sensitivity with which the characters are drawn. It is an intriguing tale but one with many insights into life. I did have difficulty with some of the deep south American expressions but not enough to spoil my pleasure.
The author's love and knowledge of Italy shines throughout the story which was an added pleasure for me.
I may read it again very soon as although we are told "who dunnit" I am still not 100% sure that I understand who committed the other, lesser, "who dunnit"!
I have not read anything else like this so can offer no comparisons but I do recommend it.
I wasn't really expecting a murder mystery form Frances Mayes but this is beautifully done to my mind and I look forward to her next book.
on 27 May 2004
I think "Swan" is a great book, I have read it in one afternoon, couldn't put it down. It was not at all predictable, really well written.
Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with the end, since the whole book was based on finding out who the murderer is by giving clues, hints etc and in the end we are left uncertain by whom it was. I have an idea about whom it might have been but still, I think it would have been a better ending to let the readers know who did it. Other than that, great book.