on 14 October 2012
I always thought that if anybody was going to handle writing swamp thing, then it would have to be Grant Morrison, instead it's The Court of Owls (Batman (DC Comics Hardcover)) writer Scott Snyder, who does a great job with the dark knightl, I didn't think he would be up to the task of relaunching a character made famous by Alan Moore Saga of the Swamp Thing - Book One (New Edition).

I was wrong.

Raise them bones is a brilliant starting point for people not that familiar with the swamp thing mythos, like me, it doesn't hold your hand the whole way through and it doesn't throw you in the middle of a forest, the story has a nice progression that could be compared to that of tv series were by the end, you want so much more. Yanick Paquette and Marco Rudy are also along for the ride, bringing the vivid images to life with their great artistic abilities, showing the emotianol toll being took on main protagonist Alec Holland but also the toll on the world around him. A great kickstarter for new and old fans.
on 14 July 2015
I absolutely loved this book! I was unsure what to expect because I have only even read a bit of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing way back and that was in a collection where he was trying to wean Superman off Kryptocrack or some such. So I didn't have a great base for the character and bought it mainly because it was written by Scott Snyder and I am love with his Batman stuff.

What an incredible surprise! The story starts off relatively fresh and although there were some things I didn't quite understand about the history of the character, I didn't feel that it took anything away from the story. The story follows a guys struggle with his identity as Swamp Thing as the essence of disease rips across the land. There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the basics.

The tone of the story is very dark and reminded me a lot of Hellraiser with the twisted designs of the monsters. The panel layout is innovative with vines and branches stretching across pages to separate the action. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to follow but the impact of the design is well worth the slight double take every now and then.
on 15 September 2012
Of all the "New 52" titles announced, "Swamp Thing" was the one I was looking forward to the most so having finished the first book I'm glad it's as good as I'd hoped. Despite a somewhat convoluted explanation of how Alec Holland was and wasn't Swamp Thing, things get moving pretty quickly as a deathly primeval force called "The Rot" threatens all plant-life on Earth. "The Green" and the Parliament of Trees reach out to Alec to become their champion, Swamp Thing, and help defeat the enemy. But Alec is finished with all things botanical... until Abby Arcane appears and suddenly the two are on the run from Abby's evil half-brother William and the Black King Sethe.

Scott Snyder does a great job of setting up the series with a fantastic first book introducing the main characters well and explaining the strange but wonderful world of Swamp Thing to a new audience. The whole "Green" and "Rot" worlds are kind of abstract but interesting nonetheless and it seems like Swamp Thing has a formidable villain to battle against - always a big plus. I also like how we see little of Swamp Thing until the very end where the story builds to a thunderous climax as Alec Holland once more becomes the Monster. Reaching the end made me want to read the next book immediately.

Scott Snyder's on a roll with 2 outstanding Batman books ("Black Mirror" and "Court of Owls") under his belt and now Swamp Thing - he's shaping up to becoming one of the best comics writers of today. The artwork is gorgeous as well with the panels connected with green roots, seeming to grow across the page organically. The excellent Yanick Paquette supplies most of the artwork and his strong artistic vision really drives the book, elevating Snyder's story to a new level. His Swamp Thing depiction is also fantastic, particularly the final few pages.

Even if you've not read Swamp Thing before, this book is worth picking up to discover one of the DC Universe's most interesting and underrated characters given a new lease of life by one of the finest comics writers around at the moment. For those who remember Alan Moore's legendary run on the character, I think Snyder will match Moore's storylines if not surpass them if this solid first book is any indication. "Swamp Thing: Raise Them Bones" is one of the highlights of the "New 52" line-up and definitely worth reading.
on 8 December 2013
I saw that a bunch of New 52 titles were going for a 1/10 of their retail price on the Kindle store so I bought this, along with a dozen others.

I've never read any Swamp Thing books before and only know the character through some online research, regardless, this is a really good book; I enjoy Scott Snyder's writing and the artwork by Yanick Paquette is clean and well detailed, his depiction of The Rot reminds me of the 52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen a few years ago. I like the idea of The Green and the history of Swamp thing and I don't think you have to be a well versed comic book enthusiast to enjoy this book.

Hopefully I'll be caught up enough with the events prior to the New 52 so I can continue reading the new titles and follow the adventures of Swamp Thing.
on 1 July 2015
Loved Alan moores version of swampthing and although it would be silly to expect this to be to that standard I hoped it would have retained some of the depth and character that I loved but it doesn't. the story's flakey heavy handed and has a weird pace to it. Waste of time and money
on 22 March 2018
Book as described - no problems - would use this supplier again
on 24 May 2013
This book is definetly worth a try, the storyline is great, very enjoyable, the characters are likable and funny when needed, the art is fantastic, it’s good to look at. I recommend this book to anyone who loves comics or just interested in getting to know the genre.
on 4 July 2013
Big shoes to fill. A great first outing with a few surprising twists. Just needs........something. I think because the original was boxed off so neatly it's going to be a rocky start for such an icon, but as a fan, I'm just glad the saga is continuing.
on 29 November 2013
I never had read Swamp Thing until this reboot, thought it was a good time to start. And of almost unknown to me, Swamp Thing one of my favorite DC titles atm, if we exclude Batman I can say this is my favorite on-going series!

Awesome plot, incredible support characters and Paquette art is by far the most amazing art in all the comic books I'm reading at the moment.
on 28 July 2013
A decent reboot. Only trouble is it IS a reboot. It's got a lot of the body horror of swampthing but is perhaps lacking its heart. That said Snyder is a great writer, the art recalls Totleben and others, in other words it's fitting for the tone. Worth picking up to see where it goes.