Colour: black (light face)|Change

on 14 January 2010
I primarily bought the Vector as a rugged watch for when I'm trekking, which could also be used as a backup compass. I soon found that the altimeter proved to be an excellent navigation aid when combined with the ability to take bearings quite easily with the watch in compass mode. The barometer is good too as it indicates change in air pressure so you get an early indication of changes in the weather although of course if you are going up/down mountains, the usefulness of this becomes limited.

It's weathered well (I've had it over 10 years now), although there is a large scratch on the glass, picked up while walking in the Pyrennees. This hasn't affected performance at all though.

My only negative comment is that although you are advised in the manual to recalibrate the compass before every trip, the process can be a bit time consuming so it doesn't get done as often as perhaps it should. This did on one occasion cause some confusion since I used the Vector to make a quick check on the direction I was taking and it turned out to be wildly off. Fortunately I was aware of the general direction I needed to go so got out my 'real' compass to check, which is how I found that the calibration had gone completely. As I say, recalibration can be a pain so it's not something you feel like doing at the beginning of every day.

I also tend to reset the altimeter when I get to a known height, usually a peak, since changes in air pressure due to the weather rather than altitude can make the readings slightly inaccurate over a period of a few hours. Resetting the height is a job of a couple of seconds so this isn't an onerous task.

When it comes to battery changing, it is significantly cheaper to buy replacements from your local Boots or similar, however the Suunto replacement pack does come with a new seal, so the choice depends on how much you expect the device to be exposed to water.
on 15 January 2009
I bought my first Vector in 2001 and it has been one of the toughest watches I've ever owned ( I really do give them some stick too ) I've been through 2 straps and 4 batteries, these are surprisingly easy to change.
It's been up mountains and down ditches, it's travelled by land, sea & air and I like it so much that I'm going to buy another as mine works perfectly but is now as rough as a builders thumb.
You might get brownie points with the SAS for surviving everything that the watch has been through but I think it looks a bit too scruffy now, it's a yellow one so it really shows just how hard a life it's had, retirement beckons...
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2011
This is a great watch. Why?

- Compass feature is brilliant. Having a compass on your wrist so you don't need to mess about finding it in your bag or jacket pocket is a great idea. The best thing though is that it can be recalibrated so if it gets affected by magnets in the area eg mobile phone (I have lost countless compasses through accidentally having them to close to my phone) you can simply reset it and it self-corrects.

- Altimeter is easy to use and very useful. Of course it will get affected by weather changes unlike a GPS but you can reset everytime you know your altitude.

- Barometer very useful - it has a time lapse feature so you can see recent trends in the pressure and therefore you know if the weather is deteriorating or improving.

-Watch does what it says on the tin....
on 19 August 2009
The watch meets the expectations in terms of performance. However, the functions of the various buttons to move through modes and sub-modes are not really user-friendly and immediate to learn. For example, the night illumination is obtained by pressing a button for a few seconds continuously: this may not be easy (typically while practicing a sport or on board a moving vehicle) and, if pressing is interrupted too early, the watch display changes (in the dark).
Moreover, the dark face with light digits is not easily readable in day lights.
on 29 May 2015
I had this watch for just under a year but had to get rid. I purchased due to the great reviews on amazon but I found two show stoppers that caused me moved onto greener pastors - and a third minor issue.

1. I have small girlie wrists and the strap always use to fall out of the plastic holder thing at least a few times a DAY. It drove me mad. I contacted Suunto who sent me a replacement strap in case it was faulty but it was exactly the same as the stock one.
2. No button lock option and because of the position of the buttons I never knew what screen the display would be showing when I went to look at the time. This happened daily and Suunto support again just said sorry, button lock not available with this model. Which I already knew but didn't think it would be as big as an issue as it was.
3. Shows wear and tear fast, the numbers on the display and the Suunto brand on the orange face start wearing away quite quick. They are just painted on a flat surface until my new G-Shock were the paint is in little graves so it doesn't "rub off".

Pro's however:
The display is super clear to read and has a lovely domeish finish which looks great
Really light weight and the battery didn't run put the 11 months I had it
on 14 February 2009
I have owned a Vector for over 12 years. Particularly useful is the altimeter and barometer when on the hills, the log book is great fun too to review your progress particularly when skiing and you've been zooming up and down. Three separate alarms and the countdown timer have all proved useful for work. In short a great product, my first one has just died - I reviewed all the literature and bought exactly the same watch again (though on my original watch the LCD contrast was the other way round). No negatives except perhaps it's size - it's depth is probably about 1cm so doesn't fit well under shirt cuffs.
on 8 March 2011
This Suunto Vector is a cracking piece of kit. All functions work to a tee and are so accurate I can not find fault with it.
I if you are in doubt about purchasing the product, then you should be in no doubt. Robust build quality and all displays are clear and easy to read.
Amazon can not be faulted. Delivery to Afghanistan (BFPO) in 7 days and refunded the VAT - Bonus!
on 25 August 2012
I bought this Vector to replace my previous one which was finally starting to have problems after 10 years of hard use. The last one was used a lot in high mountain environments and also for hiking, cycling, running swimming and gardening. It never let me down
Apart from some minor styling chjanges the functionality is pretty much the same as the old one
This is a very rugged watch with numbers which are large and easy to read. The review which suggested it is a toy is way off the mark and out of line with other reviews and I suggest should be ignored
It is a little chunky but still of a size where it can be worn for general use. The compass and altimeter are pretty accurate for general guidance (though not for precise navigation) and I used them a lot with my previous watch. It is usually necesaary to re-set the altimeter at the correct height before setting off up the hill.
The split timing function can be fiddly and the thermometer a waste of time since you can only read your body temparature unless you dangle the watch in the air for several minutes which is impractical.
There is a handy pocket guide which tells you how to use/set the essential functions
A few years ago I purchaes a more expensive Suunto with downloading capability. However I hardly ever used this and it hard to see the numerals as these where white against a black face/ I have looked at getting a GPS watch but these are very chunky and often need a separate antenna to be attached to you. I decided to keep to something more solid and user friendly which covers what I need 99 % of the time ( for the other 1% I use a separate GPS device)
I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who wants a solid dependable watch for all outdoor activities but particularly skiing and hiking and does not need it to have GPS capability
One tip - buy the version which has the green face and black numbers unless you have previously tried and are comfortable with a (to my mind odd ) black face and white numbers
on 20 May 2011
This is my first Suunto and overall I am very impressed with it. Looks good, comfortable to wear, easy to read and a useful range of functions. I've used a Casio Pro-Trek for a few years which has performed admirably but wanted something with an electronic compass as a back up for my Silva. The only slight niggle I have with all these type of watches is that you have to remove it from your wrist for 10-15 minutes before you get an accurate read from the temp/baro function, not just Suunto, they're all the same. Very pleased, a lot of watch for the money.
on 2 September 2009
arrived in very good time . was exactly as stated in the advert , very clear instructions , looks stylish ,very well built , comfortable to wear , my first suunto product , probably not the last , will recomend to anybody .