Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2013
Excellent book i would recommend it to any christian seeking to develop their walk with God on a deeper level. You can never stop learning about developing our walk with God and this book i feel certainhly meets that need.
on 10 June 2013
I go to Simon's Church and brought this book ,because of the sermons he and the other leaders are giving around Sustainable Power. When reading the reviews about the book before it was published, it made me wonder if the book was just for church leaders, my thoughts were wrong, I found Sustainable Power to be a book for everyone.

For me this book is so inspiring and empowering it made me rethink certain areas of my life. Simon uses his own experiences to get you to think about certain areas of life; repentance being one of them, but with a difference. Simon and the leaders of the church have used Sustainable Power topics to deliver sermons, for me the book gives me a reference for the sermons to go back to. Wow how inspiring and powerful these have been.

I found the book very easy to read, reading the first nine chapters the very first day I brought it. I feel this book, is one you will read over and over again, and I'm sure every time you will get something different out of it. This book is for anyone, regardless of where you are in your journey.

I brought my mum a copy and she got it today, she's already on page 69 and she told me ' it's exciting and she hasn't read a book like that in ages'. She hasn't been to the church yet, but has picked up how a loving church it is.

Simon is a gifted writer, I hope he writes another book soon.
on 3 August 2013
Someone gave me a book this week; "you should read this...", they said. They were right. Simon Holley's book, Sustainable Power, is very good. It is not just the wonderful stories of church members praying for people to be healed (in church and outside of church), not just the encouraging theology around healing, I think it is Simon's honesty which gives the book an integrity and accessibility. Simon is honest about his own background, struggles, doubts and fears; he is even honest about his own marriage difficulties - this all leaves the reader breathing a sigh of relief and thinking "maybe I could do that - offer to pray for that person". The testimonies from his own life and that of the church he leads in Bedford are certainly remarkable and we certainly need more churches praying for people to be healed. So, as someone said to me this week, you should read this...
on 10 June 2013
This book is powerful! Written in the style that Simon lives - humble, funny, engaging and inspiring - I found it hard to put down. You'll find yourself moving from a place of being undone and your heart being exposed, to having your gaze lifted up and being freshly inspired, and then back round again!

This is not a theoretical book, but a real life story, and therefore it should be high on your list of "books to read". Be prepared for God to speak straight into your heart as you read through the chapters on "rocks of the heart", and be prepared to come out the other side changed and freer than when you started!
on 10 June 2013
This book is a must read for anyone hungry for more of God's power in their own and their community's life. It's written with the authority of someone who has lived and breathed everything he has written about and he is humble and authentic in sharing his story.

In amongst the themes of repenting of stumbling blocks to seeing God's power move, are stories of God touching ordinary lives in extraordinary ways - not in far flung parts of the world but in 21st century Britain. This book has inspired and encouraged me to pursue God and see him break out in the lives of people around me.
on 10 June 2013
I just loved this book. I was moved to repentance by this book. I am inspired by this book and am sure you will be too. I am convinced this is a word in season particularly for church leaders and churches.

I will put it on the MUST READ LIST for my church. If the church can grab hold of the content of this book and embrace the kingdom culture it embodies then we will truly see "Heaven Touching Earth".

I have quoted many references in this book on twitter using the hash tag #sustainablepower which I am delighted to see others now using too!
on 18 September 2013
Despite having full bookshelves which would suggest otherwise, there haven't been many Christian books that I have read all the way through. But this book kept me riveted right to the closing pages.

It's so practical, accessible, routed in the authority of the Bible, and in the honest on-the-ground experience of Holley and his church family in Bedford.

I LOVED that it told the story of a faith community in the UK, and not in an incomparable US mega church. These are ordinary guys, in an ordinary church, in an ordinary town, longing to experience more of God's kingdom and taking time to grow together and to change the culture of their church family to expect that God's power will be a reality in their midst. I LOVED the many, many stories of healings interspersed in the chapters and found them moving, faith building and inspiring. I found the stories of tentative first steps, and the willingness to step out in baby-sized faith, risking failure, not hedging their bets with bland, disappointment-expecting prayers, to be challenging, and inside I could feel a growing sense of, 'we could do this too!'

The teaching is really accessible, and very transferrable to different church denominations, and the chapters lend themselves nicely to devising a sermon series.

The book leaves you with a warm glow, and a vision for what could be. It neither overwhelms nor intimidates, rather it tells a story of their church, and makes you believe that it really could be the story of your own church.

I completely recommend it, especially to church leaders.

One closing word of minor frustration: Authentic media, the book, sadly, contains more than a handful of editing errors. It would be great if subsequent editions of the book could rectify this.
on 18 July 2013
I am so grateful for all that I have gained from reading and taking on board the Kingdom gems that are so well highlighted in 'Sustainable Power'. Simon writes clearly and concisly from his own experiences. The book helped me to see, and start to understand, those blockages that so often hold us back from moving into the fullness of all that God has for us.

Simon uses testomany and scriptures to support a very simple theology that I believe will make a difference in my life. I highly recommend this book for all those who, like me, are hungry to move into the fullness of all the God has for them. If you are in Christian leadership then I would have to recommend that you read this book.... Be warned, it will challenge you! I have bought a copy for my Pastor...........
on 31 July 2013
I loved this book and am very excited by it.
Its very readable, its very gently and wisely written, I was encouraged, inspired and refreshed as a reader. Simon's style isn't elevated, driven, striving or in anyway aggressive, but he shares, he encourages, he's honest and there's not an ounce of hype in the book. His writing gives space for the Holy Spirit to challenge and envision, rather than feeling bombarded by the author's compulsion or feeling preached at.

The truths Simon shares are exciting and very much resonate with the journey I've been on as a church leader in recent years. Reading this was hugely encouraging because the simple stories (& there is an abundance of them) are what we long for but are not yet seeing. The combination of rooting out the rocks and building up faith is a excellently balanced.

One particular highlight for me was the encouragement that a church in an unglamorous UK setting, (no offense to Bedford intended!) can breakthrough into seeing God's grace and power demonstrated in many ways.
Another highlight is that Simon thinks and leads in a way that is refreshingly of his generation. Many amongst the 'modernist' generation of charismatics and evangelicals (in general those born pre-1965) have often been pioneering, ice-breaking; 'this is better than that', 'black & white', 'me must do it this way' type preachers and writers. Simon gives space for the grace of God, he disarms hype, he values the marginalised, he demonstrates a real grasp of the New Covenant. There's a profound sense of 'both/and' in the book, rather than 'either/or' and that makes this a very accessible and empowering book for those who have grown up and been educated in the UK in the past 40years (& maybe those older too I hope!)

I will certainly be encouraging the church I lead and my friends and family to read it. I hope that what God is doing through the King's Arms will be a blessing and encouragement to others who like us are a few steps behind in the same journey.
on 8 January 2014
You can read the other, longer reviews to get a feel for the huge impact of the main narrative in this book.
It's an easy read, a workbook for those of repentant hearts and it really won't, to quote another review, overwhelm you.

I just wanted to highlight a couple of awesome 'extra' gems I stumbled over, along the way...

1) A great soundbite about how God works in us:
"He offends the mind to reveal the heart." - Love it! A sermon in 6 words. To date I've not read it this succinctly anywhere else.

2) For me, one of the most insightful, liberating statements I have seen from a churchman. I've not seen anyone see through church 'language legalism' like this for over 20 years:
-When describing a (non-church) teenager who had just had their back healed-

...he began swearing at the top of his voice...
...We realised that swearing was his [type of] worship... (my [] brackets)

Awesome. (Please note: do not misunderstand me here, I do *not* commend swearing as a lifestyle choice!)

3) I need much more pickling too. [See Ch.10]