Customer reviews

Surgically Enhanced
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2007
I'm usually into thrillers but saw Pam Ayres promoting her book on the TV and asked my husband to get it for me as one of my Christmas presents, saying that I could do with a giggle.

Well, what can I say? First thing that struck me was that whilst reading it, (to myself, not even out loud), I found that I was reading it with an endearing Pam Ayres accent! Couldn't help myself and it just made it all so much more real somehow.

Her tales of times growing up brought back lots of lovely memories of my own happy childhood. Wish I'd known about that handy trick to catch crayfish though, love those.

All the tales are just so what could happen to any of us and probably has or will at some point in our lives but she just has such a wonderful way of expressing them.

I foolishly started reading this just before bedtime and naturally couldn't put it down until it was finished. Resulting in some very strange sideways glances from my almost sleeping husband as I tried to stifle my chuckles once I'd made it up to bed with the book.

This was a real pleasure to read and some welcome light relief from my usual genre of thrillers. I've never read any Pam Ayres books before, but will certainly be reading more in future. I'm sure her older works are equally as laughable.
on 15 June 2017
classic pam ayres,a real poet unlike the verbal ramblers who get all the accolades .
on 4 August 2017
Brilliant, as only mrs Russell can do!
on 23 October 2017
Loved it
on 26 April 2017
Loved this book
on 21 October 2007
a Pam Ayres book, but never got off my backside to get one, then this wagged its 'come hither' finger at me in Asda last Saturday. Always enjoyed her work, she's not on TV enough, but is 'On Tour' right now, I found, if you check her website
This book is a cracker and will have you chuckling along all the way through, because Pam always writes about events we can relate to, which is her great strength.
Get a copy, then, like I'm planning to do, get some of her other books from Amazon; my idleness has now been cured, as laughter, is indeed, a wonderful thing. She dishes up exceptionally good British humour in a world where American humour seems to be trying to take over, and OK, maybe I'm one-in-a-million, but The Simpson's and all the other codswallop from the U S of A JUST DOESN'T DO ANYTHING for me; Pam Ayres does, in bucketloads!
on 22 November 2006
A brilliant read poetry to make you laugh, her style is always quirky I wish I could write as she. I would recommend to any one who needs a little light entertainment. I can still see her renditions from years ago and always believed she was the female version of Benny Hill with her facial expressions as she recited her works.
I love Pam Ayres style of poetry, it always makes me laugh and I've loved her since I 1st saw her on 'Opportunity Knocks' when I was a little girl.

This book has anecdotes written in Pam's usual witty way as well as poems and is very entertaining and is written with her usual observant style about life and funny incidents that will have you laughing and agreeing with her.

I especially identified with her anecdote about going to a different hairdresser (because she was away from home) and how we tend to say "oh its very nice, thanks very much" when really we hate it!

I also loved the Global Warming poem and the anecdote about shopping on the internet.

She has inspired me so much and I love her books.

Review by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, author of The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 8 February 2009
Surgically Enhanced is another of Pam Ayres' publications which amply demonstrates her quirky humour. She can get her messages home without the need for "edgy" presentation used by many "modern comedians".
on 21 January 2016
I purchased this as a present for someone else so I presume they read it but I cant really review it