on 28 May 2016
The SuperTooth D4 came as a bit of a surprise for several reasons.
Firstly, I managed to get one for slightly less than £18. For the money, it beats most speaker under £30 (and some close to the £70 mark).
Secondly, it's much lighter and compact than I expected it to be.
Thirdly, I find its sound very clear and bass pretty deep. Not quite a match for something a few times its size, but it holds its own rather well.

Form factor is pretty neat, both when handling it and placing it somewhere.
You can have it play on its 'legs' with the handle at the top, or have it stand on its rear, which I prefer as it sounds more open that way.

Sound-wise, I find it handles classical music, namely cello, violin and solo piano very well. The same goes for rock (e. g. Scorpions), folk (Stan Rogers...) and some pop.

- lightweight, but not too much
- very good, balanced sound (almost all the time) with very clear lows, mids, treble
- can easily be flipped between a directional (on its little legs) and open (on its rear) sound output
- pretty deep sounding lows

- in very bass heavy songs, the lows can be a little overpowering, but still nothing too bad
- chimes when turned on and off a bit too loud, but short enough, so they're not very annoying
- no means to control volume on the device itself

The chime and, more importantly, the lack of volume controls, is why I knocked a star off.

Overall, for the money I paid, I'm very happy with it and I think it's very good value. Even at £30, it's still better value than many. The cons I listed aren't really bad and for those looking for a portable speaker with very good sound, this could very well be the one.
on 20 June 2017
Still the best Bluetooth speaker I have had so good that when the batteries died for a lot of use I opened it up to replace them working perfect again. Cannot say a bad word about this speaker.
on 31 October 2011
OK, so I'm not a big reviewer, more of a voyeur when it comes to Amazon, but having owned this product for the best part of a year, and loved every moment, I felt the need to rave on amazon for the benefit of others.

I really don't think you'll get a much better bit of kit for the price. It's a solid, well built, sturdy box, nice and weighty. The sound quality is spot on - I agree with some of the other reviewers that it lacks some high end finesse, but I'm not expecting Bose or Bang & Olufsen quality (or price) - for me it's just great. I mostly use it a mid to low volumes, as background music, and as such I'm not looking for the sort of crisp sound I'd expect from a dedicated system costing several hundred whatevers. I rarely use the base boost feature, which certainly boosts, if a little too much. I guess it's down to your own expectations. For me, sound quality on this is perfect.

Being bluetooth, of course it doesn't have to be linked to just your phone. I use it mostly via a bluetooth dongle (£6.95 from medion shop) that's just the job. A whole load better than my laptop's speakers. Incomparably better, as I'm sure you'd expect. 3.5mm input is simple genius as not everyone wants the faff of bluetooth. I guess using this helps the battery last longer too.

The snug neoprene cover that comes with it is really great, well designed, looks smart and does an ample job of protecting the speaker box from knocks and bumps (if you're silly enough not to look after it). This would be sold for £20 as a separate accessory with some brands.

Battery life is incredible. You can leave it on standby for days and days. Even though I use it regularly and frequently throughout the week (at low volumes) it generally lasts a week between charges (bluetooth input). Despite alot of other reviews on here, you CAN switch it off. Just hold down the on/off button for 3-4 seconds. I discovered this feature by reading the manual. ;-)

All in, this is an ace bit of kit. It's been on holiday with us, in the car, to the beach, by the pool, in the kitchen, in the garden. It's amazing how portable and versatile a portable speaker can be! It also gets a lot of attention from friends and family, and as a result we bought one for our inlaws for a wedding present who love it equally as much.

I'm sure by now, you get the point, but if I could give 6 stars, this would get it. Thank you supertooth, for producing something that simply works!
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 December 2016
This speaker is pretty good for the price. Good clear sound at moderate volumes but noticeably distorted when turned up very loud which, you would kind of expect. The outside cover actually muffles the quality of the sound so best used without it whenever possible and it does make access to the controls a bit of a ball ache. I have found that the speakers blue tooth connectivity sometimes takes several attempts to synch to a device so marks off for that. I’m reasonably happy with it overall, I don’t use it that often so it’s a handy thing to have when needed but if your looking for a wireless speaker to use on a regular basis, I’d swerve this and invest in a Sonos…obviously.
on 8 February 2018
what can I say, for the price the sound quality is really good. Unusual look rather like a megaphone but it works well and I can find no down side to this product.
on 28 August 2015
So I've had this speaker for an hour or so now and it seems rather good.
Being a small portable speaker you shouldn't expect too much from it, it's not hi-fi quality of course. However for the price the product is bang on! Generally this costs around £40 however it's £26 at the moment so I believe I definitely got good 'bang for my buck'.
If I had the money of course I'd probably go for a Bose or beats pill speaker... But I don't. However I have used them before and though it doesn't compare to a Bose sound link mini. I don't think the quality is miles away from the beats pill.

Pros: very good price,
Feels good quality,
Very portable but not too small,
Cool/quirky design like a cross between a lunchbox and a boombox (this is subjective I suppose though)
Good bass performance

Cons: it lacks clarity slightly (much more noticeable the higher the volume)
Certain sounds sound rather tinny (this can be combatted with EQ settings however it will have a negative effect of your phones battery life)
Though the bass performance is good, it is a tad lifeless and dull.

All this said, I've only bought it for a little background music for an upcoming holiday and I think it should be ideal for the job in hand.
on 30 June 2014
I've compared this to a number of different bluetooth systems, and its pretty much the best in terms of value for money. I've had no issues with sound quality - although some more audiophile reviewers have suggested that high end fidelity is lacking. In the real world you'll be using this on a patio during a barbecue, or on a canal boat's roof, or sitting round a campfire with people shooting the breeze. You're not going to be sitting intently next to it trying to work out if the strings in Mozart's Idomeneo sound just as they did that time you listened to the Berlin Philharmonic at the Royal Albert Hall. One of your drunken mates is going to ask you to whack on Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins - in which case volume and bass are what you're after. Blue tooth pairing is pretty painless - hold down the power button for five seconds so that you can pair, or turn on normally if your phone had already paired up. Your phone will need to be able to send 0000 as a password, which may be why I could never get my HP TouchPad to pair up. If that happens, or you have an older analogue source, you can just use a standard headphone cable (supplied). The case has a handy carrying handle, the Disco does stereo and optional Bass Boost, it can be used from within the protective case and it's louder and meatier than any of the subsequent Disco products (Supertooth Disco 2,3 and 4). Due to the volume, I'd rate this kit on a par with more expensive gear like the Minx Go, which I've also used. Obviously the sky's the limit with Bluetooth speakers, but for the 80 quid I spent on this one (30/05/2014) I came away feeling like I'd found the best output at the price. Incidentally, I've worked as a sound engineer and I'm a jobbing musician - I really didn't have any problems with the sound quality on the Disco. If this is your first bluetooth speaker you're going to be very happy with this kit.
on 2 July 2015
Amazingly powerful speaker which has so much wasted potential!
Speaker arrived with an audible "scrabble" from the sub, from any bassy song, which leaves the pleasure of listening on max unsatisfying. It goes loud! Guaranteed - for the price range (£70 @ top) it beats anything out there. 28w output with a dynamic in built sub is hard to beat!

Until I mention the battery. Charged all night and used about 3hours on max if I'm generous to state. After a few charges it held less charge until it played an unbearable <30mins from 4+ hours charge after having it for 3 days. Off the power cord, it plays well; but I have a hunch that it doesn't utilise direct power, but rather off the charge from the battery (which is charged when plugged into a socket).

Bluetooth function is always on and the light flashes, even when using aux. I'm sure this adds to battery drain, but that flash is irritating.
Which leads to my next issue of the default Bluetooth pins not working- across a range of devices.

I probably got sent faulty goods; the speaker has potential, but it lacks in some departments where its left exhausted in its best effort to be a top of the line speaker.
on 19 November 2016
Arrived on time good sounding piece of kit very loud good base unlike some battery does not last as long as stated maybe 3hours if you give it some wellie use mains adapter when at home but great for in car you can even plug into cig lighter socket I have a Kia picanto sound system is rubbish it has saved me having to put new system in car yes I would recommend speaker 8out of 10
on 6 May 2013
I was looking for a bluetooth speaker (to use with my notebook that has its internal speakers broken) that
- has at least coverage of a large room (I mean bluetooth distance)
- has an own internal battery that lasts at least 5-6 hours
- easy to use/connect
- has enough power to fill a large room
- has relatively good quality of craftmanship

Why I chose this product:
- At this price category (below 100 pounds) I couldn't find any competing product that satisfies all my conditions (they either don't have an own battery and work with AA's, or they are much more expensive or too small)

What I like:
- the delivery was fast and precise
- the connection is extremely easy and takes just a few seconds
- the bluetooth works to at least 8 metres of distance including a wall between the devices
- the package also contains a cool and practical box/bag
- the tracklist can be controlled from the speaker (e.g. next/pause/stop/bass boost etc)
- very loud, louder than I expected, 28W with great power
- very long battery life: I use it at about 1/3 of the full power (which is already loud enough for a movie with my girlfriend or listening to music while working), and it boasts 12+ hours.

What I dislike:
- the box contains a 3.5 jack cable to use with devices lacking bluetooth (or A2DP), but the cable is of extremely low quality, and it already stopped working after just a few days.
- the sound quality is mediocre at best - it is sometimes even a bit irritating when listening to e.g. jazz
- distorted medium and high frequencies
- the bass boost is only usable at low volume, at half power it already distorts the sound too much
(I am not an audiophile, but I can differentiate between 128kbps and 320kbps on a quality speaker, certainly not on this one, not even with the 3.5 jack cable)

I would recommend this product, but if you are an audiophile, then don't buy it!

Edit: I revisit this review because after just 6 months of usage the speaker started having problems.
1. Does not connect properly on windows 8.1 anymore, it takes 6 tries and the connection sometimes drops, even when the speaker is next to my laptop on my desk.
2. Even if I connect the speaker with a cable it keeps turning off. I think it is connected to the sound level of the music I'm playing: when the music gets silent, the speaker stops playing and turns off, happens like every 2 minutes.
3. The battery life already halved, lasts no more than 5-6 hours now.