on 2 June 2016
While bought as a gift for an avid Nintendo, it is important to note that this is not just a summarised history of the gaming phenomenon that Fusajiro Yamauchi founded. It has clearly been researched to provide novices and die hard collectors (who this was bought for!) both something to enjoy.

Crammed with interesting anecdotes and tidbits about the company without the nitty gritty of company politics (Nintendo has had its share after all) this book is a great nostalgic trip down memory lane for older readers and a powerful reminder how important gaming culture was/ is and will be.
on 6 March 2014
This is a truly brilliant read. I couldn't put it down and finished it in three days. The author has been very passionate with his words. As a consequence the book is very well written. Its relevant to mention the author is a well established gaming journalist, hence why his sentences flow together rather elegantly.

Theres a few issues I have with it. Firstly I understand the book is called 'How Nintendo Conquered America'; yet I would have enjoyed a more comprehensive examination of Nintendo's European success, not simply America and Japan. This book covers Japan and North America extensively, yet I would have liked some more research into other regions, especially Europe. The other thing is that this book is simply black and white text. I would have also liked the option of a fully coloured hardback edition. For a book like this, I felt that text alone dosen't do the narrative justice. I would have loved to have seen pictures of Super Mario Bros. 3 super smash launch around the world, or images of Nintendos' consoles innards. The author describes hardware specifications at some points, yet without images its difficult to contextualise what he means. For example he explains that the console nomenclature (bits) refers to an exponential output in power, not cardinal. Thus I would have liked maybe a few diagrams to demonstrate this point more clearly.

Aside from that, I would say this is geared to anyone with an interest in the history of the games industry. However... To me this isn't just a book about Nintendo. Its a book that delves into the resilience of the human spirit. I felt very emotional at points in the book reading about how the team at Nintendo defied all expectations. How every failure made them stronger. Theres one point in the book the author describes the launch of the original NES console. The president of Nintendo (at the time) took one gamble... he decided to pack Super Mario Bros. with every NES console. It was his ace in the hole. It was magic to read about these pivotal moments in Nintendo's history, where one wrong move could make or break the company. This book is excellent. The only reason I awarded 4 stars is because its not enough, this story deserves photos and full colour in hardback, but for £7 the paperback is definitely a worthwhile read.
on 19 April 2015
Don't get me wrong. The book is funny and entertaining. But it lacks the depth knowledge of the systems and the situations that the author is describing. It is not like other titles as 'Console Wars' where you can feel the author has gone the extra mile interviewing the main players of the book and knowing things that are not available in Wikipedia. I paid £7 for the kindle editions and it seems a little bit pricey for what I got.
One person found this helpful
on 7 October 2016
The first half of the book describing Nintendo's rise to fame is pretty eye-opening, but the author loses the narrative by cramming the book full of annoying lists. The second half was a real let-down.
on 17 February 2015
I liked this book. Provides a great insight into nintendo's history and now I know more about nintendo than I probably should. It does run out of steam towards the end but never the less a brilliant geeky book.
on 5 May 2016
my 12 year son bought this and really enjoyed reading it ...
on 30 May 2014
Bought for my son, who just loves this book. So much information and history that he's read it many times.
on 18 February 2016
Great read.
on 25 January 2016
Enjoyed it , plenty of nintendo history , miyamoto , mario etc
on 3 June 2013
This is a really good book. I recommend this book to Nintendo fans. During long train rides I read this book and it kept me entertained very well. An extremely good book. Even though it is expensive it is well worth the money.
One person found this helpful