on 3 October 2016
Super Immunity is a scientifically-based study on the health benefits of a plant-based diet. The author, a nutritional physician, actually advocates a low-meat or even no-meat diet, including vegan. From a purely scientific view, which is the view I always take with things like this, the book is a fascinating insight into what makes fruit and vegetables so good for you. It explains how nutrition is divided into ‘macro-nutrients’, which are fats, protein and carbohydrates, and ‘micro-nutrients’, which are vitamins and minerals.

The author argues that far too much emphasis is put on diets that regulate fat/protein/carbs, and not enough on diets that regulate the vitamins and minerals we get, as it’s these that most impact our long-term health. More importantly, it is explained that, as well as vitamins and minerals, fruit and veg contain a third category of micro-nutrients called ‘phyto-chemicals’, this literally means ‘plant chemicals’, and these are a group of compounds that enhance our immune system and help fight disease. Significantly, phyto-chemicals are only found in fruit and veg, not meat. If you’ve ever wondered why fruit and veg come in so many different colours, it’s the phyto-chemicals that make these colours.

The science behind nutrition and the health benefits of fruit and veg is superbly explained and is a fascinating read. I have to say the author is very anti-meat to the point where he seems to blame meat for every disease known, and I did begin to wonder if this was his opinion rather than fully-proven science. I think meat definitely gets a bad press these days but the supposed health-risks of meat is far from proven, and there’s no escaping the fact that meat is a very rich source of the B vitamins, protein, fats, and minerals like iron and zinc. Also, the anti-meat brigade often forget one thing – we don’t just eat to survive, we eat for pleasure as well, and there’s nothing better in life than a juicy steak or some lovely hot wings!

But putting aside the anti-meat bias of the book, the author makes a very powerful case for a more plant-based diet and I definitely intend to take on board what I’ve learnt. One new word I learnt from the book is “flexitarian”, which is a vegetarian who eats a bit of meat. Personally, there’s no way I’ll ever give it up meat, but maybe being a ‘flexitarian’ is a good compromise for me.
on 6 December 2016
have read several books by Joel Fuhrman and following his advice has changed my health for the better
on 9 September 2016
Best book I have read on immunity
on 14 May 2014
This is a very informative educational book with lot's of seriously great advice! It's very up-to-date that is for everyone!
on 13 February 2016
Dr. Fuhrman is fantastic. Can't wait to read more of his books.
on 12 December 2017
Arrived on time - looks OK
on 23 August 2017
A very good and informative read with helpful examples and great ideas in the recipe section. Support your immunity now!
on 28 February 2016
Every one should pay attention to it. Would save the NHS a fortune
on 27 September 2013
I found this book an excellent buy, since it was extremely informative, easy to read, and full of fascinating facts regarding what foods to eat in order to lead a healthy life.
on 30 March 2016
A simple and well written approach to building our health. It puts the choice squarely on us to choose.