- Hardcover: 144 pages
- Publisher: Frances Lincoln (1 Mar. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0711224943
- ISBN-13: 978-0711224940
- Product Dimensions: 26 x 1.9 x 31.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 198,651 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Sundials: History, Art, People, Science Hardcover – 1 Mar 2006
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
There are many dials in the book which are relatively unknown to many diallists, especially from the Arab countries and from Japan. There are also dials well-known to dialling enthusiasts, though pictured here with much better images than are usually seen. The text is very informative and easily readable - the author has turned up many little-known facts about the dials and presents the material in a logical and entertaining manner.
As an afterthought, even in our age of GPS and satellite controlled clocks, there is still a need for a book explaining the history of all instruments made for determining the time or your position on earth based on the accurate measurement of the position of the sun. Because if you know your position on Earth and the exact position of the sun, you can determine the time. The other way round, if you know the exact time, you can determine your position on Earth.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Science
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Inventions
- Books > History > World History > Pre-500
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Production, Manufacturing & Operational > Materials & Industries
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements > Time
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Industrial Chemistry & Manufacturing Technologies