Customer reviews

on 8 July 2004
I bought this book back in March and thought it might tell me a few silly facts about music. I was pleasently surprised when I got the book. It does contain silly facts, like 'most toilets flush in E-flat', but most of the book is filled with serious musical facts. As a music graduate I was surprised at many of the musical facts I didn't know, that somehow had passed me by. To try and give you an idea of the books content here's some of the topics:

the workings of the ear, the ice cream code, labanotation, the rarest record in the world, classical music eras, microphones, opera and useful terms, former bandnames, gregorian chanting, mozart, modes, gold record certification in different countries, hocket technique, beatles trivia, renaissance instruments, hip-hop dictionary, orchestra plan, ten classics produced by phil spector, jazz chat, DJ scratches, bagpipes, vibrato, musical injuries, rasta patois, ketjak singing, banned radio songs.
Those are to name a few of the book's facts. As you can see it covers a massive range of music trivia; classical, technology, blues, jazz, rock, hip-hop, punk, world, folk, and basic theory. Most of the trivia is about popular music from the 1950s til today but you'll be surprised at what you'll find.
I though this book was a good buy when I bought it but now it's even cheaper. This book must not be missed.
This book is ideal for musicians who, like myself, are in need of a break from all the serious literature. It provides entertaining music trivia which you will want to read again and again. I often wish there was more than one book mark ribbon in the book so I could mark all the places I need to read again or tell someone.
on 14 May 2012
very happy with my purchase. It arrived in time and well packaged and as it was a gift I was pleased with the quality