Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

I don't think that you can really go far wrong with a Julia Donaldson book and both of my children have loved each book written by her that I have bought for them so far and this one has also been a big hit too and not just because my daughter loves Unicorns as my son asks for this book at bedtime a lot too.

This is another one of the glitter books which include The Princess and the Wizard,Princess Mirror-Belle and the Dragon Pox,The Rhyming Rabbit and The Singing Mermaid and so each page has glitter highlights on it which adds a lovely sparkly effect to the story.

We have the paperback version which is a good sized book measuring 25cm by 25cm.

The book is written in a rhyming style and is about a rocking horse called Sugarlump. Sugarlump loves being a rocking horse and he loves the little boy and girl who own him but he gets sad when they go to school and leave him at home on his own. Sugarlump wishes that he could trot out in the big wide world and all of a sudden a snow white Unicorn appears and grants him his wish. So Sugarlump becomes a farmer's horse which he loves at first but soon wishes he could be doing something else and so the snow white Unicorn once again appears to grant his wish....

The illustrations are beautifully done with bright colourful pictures and each has glitter accents at certain parts such as Sugarlumps spots or the Unicorns horn. The story flows nicely and the rhyming style is easy to follow and read aloud. I know there are some reviews which don't like a certain sentence in the book (" I wish I had never been born") but to be honest neither of my children have commented on this at all and when taken in context with Sugarlump being sad I just took it as a turn of phrase but I can understand why parents would not like this sentence and so I think its worth knowing about to make the decision prior to purchasing the book.

Both of my children love this story and the ending which is synonymous with some of our Butlins holidays and I really love the story (and glitter) too.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 16 April 2017
cute book to add to our ever growing Donaldson collection. nice glittery pictures, but glitter does not come off and all over you which is a nice touch. sweet stpry and my boys both love it
on 5 June 2017
Another excellent choice from Julia Donaldson. I loved this story, it has a lot of heart. It's lovely and glittery which my 4 year old daughter also loves.
on 3 March 2017
Bought for my granddaughter for her birthday . She loves reading and thoroughly enjoyed this story. Another excellent book from Julia Donaldson.
on 16 June 2017
Up there with other terrible books by Julia Donaldson-like the rhyming rabbit!! So disappointing as kids love others book by her like the gruffalo, a squash and a squeeze.
on 17 April 2017
nice little book good story my little one loves it (so do I)
on 16 April 2017
A lovely book and very glittery!! My littlw girl loves the story
on 28 April 2017
Love this author and this book is just as lovely as her others beautiful colours and rhyme to the books as always
on 2 June 2017
Excellent - my 5 year old adores J.D. books :-)
on 30 July 2017
Great fun for a unicorn loving small girl