- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 5433 KB
- Print Length: 98 pages
- Publisher: Harper; ePub ed edition (29 Mar. 2012)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B007B5IL5I
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 122 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #108,986 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|This price was set by the publisher.|
The Sugar Girls - Ethel's Story: Tales of Hardship, Love and Happiness in Tate & Lyle's East End Kindle Edition
Kindle Daily Deals: Books from 99p
Sign-up to the Kindle Daily Deal email newsletter to discover daily deals from 99p.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
From the very first pages I felt that I knew Ethel and the other girls in the book. Their stories are realistically told and I want to read about the rest of the 'Sugar Girls' now to find out how their lives differed and to be a part of that era again.
I think a writer needs to re-do these books because the subject matter is so absorbing but the way you tell a story is so important too. Worth a read for the facts.
At first it wasn't quite what she envisaged herself doing but after a lot of hard work it became more than just a job it was a calling. There were rules to work by and woe betide you if you disobeyed them. Hard work was rewarded and soon Ethel was on the management team. However if she didn't toe the line she was demoted and sent back to the factory floor, this happened on at least one occasion. It was hard to go back to taking orders when you were used to giving them.
Time went by and ethel regained her status upstairs and worked very hard,she gained lots of good friends from the factory floor and management.
Later on she was fortunate to meet a lovely man to whom she married,she carried on working hard, then left to have a family after a year or two she thought it would help the family budjet if she went back to work and didn't think they would take her on at the factory,but they did and in her old job too. It just showed that hard work pays off especially if you are prepared to give more than you take.
The author obviously carried out much research to bring this story together, although it is not a literary masterpiece, but then it surely was not meant to be and not all good books necessarily need to be. just It has been written to tell a story and which it manages to do well. One of a series, I have not yet read the others but may well do in the future.
Personally, I prefer books with a little more substance, but as I say - it is what it was intended to be and good for a quick and easy read.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Really lovely easy read . Loving these books and the way they transport you to the time . Bring on the next onePublished 4 months ago by Jojo's
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Anthropology & Sociology
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History > Local & Urban History
- Books > History > Cultural History > London
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Family & Social Groups
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > UK
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology