on 19 October 2017
Excellent book very helpful and it really does improve your notetaking skills. I like the fact it also helps you with grammer and spelling and touches on things we forgot back in school.
on 31 January 2014
This book takes you through the task of Minute Taking in a logical way with very helpful little exercises to re-enforce the learning. Highly recommended.
on 2 March 2017
Very clear and concise
on 3 July 2013
For anyone not familiar with minute taking, this is a must have book. It is a well laid out book. For anyone already used to minute taking, it acts as a good reminder of how minutes should be prepared and written.
on 4 October 2011
Even if you have not experienced that lurch of anxiety when being asked to minute a meeting, you will appreciate this book for its tips, hints and reminders about preparation for and successful production of meaningful and informative minutes.

I particularly thought the guidance on how to build a relationship with the Chair of the meeting to make both the minute taker's and the Chair's role easier was very helpful. If you have a Chair person who is inexperienced or inept at controlling a meeting, this is definitely one for you, although there is heaps more valuable information in the book besides that.

An excellent all round guide to taking minutes for both the newbie and the seasoned campaigner - and not necessarily just PAs, EAs or Administrators. Anyone who is asked to minute meetings will find this book a definitive guide.
on 8 June 2011
I knew of Heather Baker from her fabulous SpeedWriting method and thought her book on how to do minutes would be good. It is.

The book is aimed at secretaries and PA's but, like other small business owners, I do most of my own administration and the buck stops with me. Minutes can be legal documents so I was a bit worried about doing them properly for our tiny Annual General Meeting and occasional meetings with other companies.

The book was ideal, explaining the different types of meetings, what they are for and how they should be run. It made me realise that I actually attend more meetings than I had thought - chats with marketeers, meetings with clients and suppliers, etc. Good notes are invaluable in getting people to take action, and making the meetings worth having!

There are some excellent short tips in the book which I found invaluable, such as deciding on some useful abbreviations beforehand, to save lots of writing, and writing/typing up the notes as quickly as possible after the meeting. There is even a section of how to be more confident when taking minutes.

The book has some really handy links to real meetings online so you can practice in a semi-live situation. Other unexpected (to me) bonuses are:

* A superb (and short!) section on spelling and grammar, including a list of the most commonly misspelled words used in meeting notes (yes, I was guilty - independent, not independant!)

* A list of words that could be used in minutes - a brilliant idea. I was concerned about writing, "said" too much and was delighted to find a list of alternatives: stated, reported, confirmed, verified, pointed out, etc.

I not only produce minutes of our own AGM's now, but am careful to document other meetings in order to make the most of my attendance at them and prompt other attendees to follow-up on suggestions and action points.

I would certainly recommend this book for anyone who needs to take minutes and highly recommend it for secretaries and PA's who would like to add minute-taking to their list of skills.
on 8 September 2013
This book turned up at just the right time! I had been thrown in at the deep end and had a minute-taking session coming up. So this book gave me plenty of moral and practical help to boost my confidence before the day - which turned out fine in the end.

I would highly recommend the book, which has been clearly and simply written by someone with many years of experience in the business.
on 26 September 2010
This is a superb book. I wish it had read it before I started organising meetings, writing agendas and taking minutes years ago! It is full of really good tips and is very clear and easy to read. This will really help with coaching and mentoring junior members of staff.
on 14 July 2013
I highly recommend this guide to minute taking for anyone who lacks confidence and needs guidance in minute taking. It also acts as a helpful reminder the for experienced minute taker. When I did my PA course in college years ago, I covered the different styles and formats of meetings, and carried out a few practice sessions, but no-one gave this kind of practical real life work place guidance of what to expect. I wish I'd read this book years ago. This book covers many of the things I found out only by experience. It explains all aspects of the meeting and gives good practical tips on preparing for meeting; the importance of the relationship with the chair; how to summarise points and what to leave out; type of language to use; acquainting yourself with the agenda topics and checking points with attendees and follow up actions.
on 28 May 2013
I had heard of Heather before and her ideas on speed Writing so I chose this book as I am working with dyslexic adults in the workplace who struggle on a day to day basis with chairing meetings and taking minutes within the meetings. This can be at the same time.

Since receiving this book two weeks ago I have used parts of it with two dyslexic adults in the workplace. They have found the checklist and action plan very straightforward and clear to understand. Both have been able to positively use this and begin to make successful meetings for themselves. Often people who are dyslexic find it difficult to know what to record following a meeting, there is a good exercise in the book to help people identify the key things that their organisation requires them to record.

Thank you from my dyslexic workplace adults for this helpful Skills Training Course