on 8 August 2006
A nice and easy escape from Windows. Been running an office with this for 4 years. Easy migration from Windows/Mac. Don't mind making the modest donation to the people who put it together. A great alternative. Tried some other distros, but came back to this for familiarity, and ease.
on 12 June 2006
In summary, stick with 10.0 until they've finished it! Problems: Support for my wireless card (Netgear) has been temporarily removed. You need to download the driver and recompile the kernel yourself to get it to work. The installation tool wouldn't partition my disks properly so I had to revert to the installation tool from 9.2. The new ZEN online update doesn't work but at least the old YAST tool still works. However, once to yet it up and running it's a very good distro.
on 16 January 2007
I had a very solid installation of SUSE Linux Professional 9.3, so I waited until SUSE 10.1 came out, thinking that it would iron out the worst bugs in 10.0.

Installation was difficult. I made a mistake repartitioning the disks, and lost the lot. Fortunately I'd made a backup before I started. Installation was unreliable. Each time I set up my SoundBlaster card (an ongoing problem) I broke things so badly that a fresh install was the quickest option. Installation was painfully slow and started asking questions after 20 minutes (by which time I'd gone away). This doesn't matter the first time. It does matter the sixth time. After disabling the built-in AC97 chip in the BIOS setup, installation and setup number seven just worked. If the last sentence would still look like nonsense after several hours with a friendly search engine, installing Linux might not be for you!

Now that it's installed and set up with my favourite software SUSE 10.1 is a solid operating system, with a very smart (KDE) graphical user interface. You choose either Gnome or KDE or both during installation.

As a server operating system it has been totally reliable. Apache, Subversion, JBoss, Samba, CUPS and Oracle 10 XE all sit quietly in the background day after day after interminable day!

It's also pretty good at mundane client tasks. Thunderbird is a very competent mail client. The junk controls aren't quite as good as Outlook's yet, but they're learning all the time. On the other hand there are some great open source plug-ins. My favourite is ToCyrillic that lets you type cyrillic characters with a standard QWERTY keyboard.

For software development, Eclipse, Java and JBossIDE all install and run with no fuss.

SUSE 10.1 makes better use of my 3GB RAM than XP does by default (I know I could tweak XP, but not tweaking is so much easier). For any given process I'm not sure that any given Linux application would win a flat out race against its Windows version, but somehow everything seems to run much more smoothly without all the pauses and interruptions that Windows throws in to brighten up your working day.

As a desktop client it's very usable for day to day tasks. It doesn't give me quite the same confidence that I had with 9.3, as the automatic updates are very slow, and Firefox hangs or crashes from time to time, although I think this might be related to Skype. The Zen updater was broken for a long time, but the latest patches sort this out.

The last few days I've been trying to set up Skype, a Creative webcam and a microphone. This has been a world of RPM dependency mismatches, failed builds from source and general pain. I'm waiting for the one guy in the whole world who cares about Linux drivers for Creative webcams to build his RPMs against the latest kernel. At least there is one guy who cares ...

SUSE 10.1 just isn't as multi-media friendly as Windows XP out of the box. It plays CDs without any trouble, although neither Real Player nor Amarok seem quite at home somehow. I gave up trying to play DVDs. I just didn't have the patience when I knew I could boot into XP and have it playing in seconds. So far it's only multimedia stuff that causes me to reboot into XP. Mea culpa, but I'm a busy man.

SUSE 10.1 takes some technical knowledge and an awful lot of patience to set up. If you have the knowledge, the patience and a real job to do, then this is a great product to do it with. This is the third version of SUSE Linux that I've used. Each version has been noticably more capable than the one before, and with each new version my confidence has grown to push it harder than the one before.

Despite the installation, update and multi-media problems it's so good at what it does best that it has earned its 4 stars.

The next version, SUSE 10.2 is now available.
on 18 November 2006
This is a fantastic operating system, however it is regrettably crippled at installation. You need to configure and tweak it to get it going.

My advice is to stay with Suse 10.0 or wait for Suse 10.2
on 8 January 2007
I switched one machine away frim Windows to SuSE 10.0 and put 10.1 on a second machine. I like SuSE 10.0 - it has a clean interface and updates without problems. I loaded the multimedia files using gemreport and I really like the OS.

I am very unhappy with 10.1 - I find it hard to download updates, I don't like the interface, I don't like the new Tux, and I find it really time-consuming to mess with the quirks and unfamiliar KDE front end. I am happy with SuSE 10.0.
on 4 November 2006
Tried it, went back to Ubuntu.

System updates (which take a long time) had problems due to pendancy conflicts, eventualy had to select and install some of the updates one by one! Didn't recognise my (ABIT) mother-board SATA controller correctly, kept complainting that it was an unsuported RAID controller every time I opened/browsed the HD.

Compared to some other Linux offerings it gave the impresion of being released too early.