Style Me Vintage Hardcover – 4 Oct 2010
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Fun, informative, and beautifully designed, this is an inspiring introduction to classic hairstyles." --"Library Journal "Xpress Reviews
The Style Me Vintage series, from Anova Books, is a fantastic series of books for hair, makeup, clothes, tea parties and even weddings! So let's start from your head and go down to your toes…for me, these Style Me Vintage books are undeniably beautiful and accurate. Spot on for a beginner like me. --http://www.foyles.co.uk/
About the Author
Belinda Hay's passion for vintage started age 5 with an infatuation for Elvis Presley. She began her hairdressing journey in New Zealand where she learned vintage styling techniques. She has worked for over 7 years in some of London's top hairdressing salons. In 2009 she opened her own vintage and contemporary salon, The Painted Lady, in London's trendy Shoreditch. She has created style guides for the staff of retro bowling alley, All-Star Lanes.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1. An ideal gift - the book is beautifully laid out with clear photos, and has a nice textured hardcover. Very pretty.
2. Clear and easy to follow instructions - I have successfully created some of the styles from the book (a beehive style, no less!)
3. It also shows photographs of current celebrities sporting vintage styles "Then and Now" - I feel this is very useful and encourages people to experiment bringing vintage styles into modern life.
4. Good basic information about the type of haircut to sport to make each style work and a bit about tools.
1. I'd like more technical information about how to handle hair, and potential problems you could encounter creating these styles. There is some, but it's fairly basic.
2. Some of the styles are very tricky and do require practice - this isn't really a con of the book, but it does suggest all hairstyles can be created yourself. Whilst I don't doubt this is true, it isn't always going to be an easy ride until you've had some practice so do bear that in mind!
So the cons aren't really big problems. I say, if you're interested in having a hands on reference to styling hair in this manner, here is an excellent introduction and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it.
I did feel though that it was more like an introduction and was missing the rest of the book.
There is NOT a lot of styles.
I recommend this book if you have short hair because most of the styles are for you.
I also recommend it for those who want just a couple of hair styles to try.
It contains absolutely nothing that can't be found on the internet for free and in an improved version (blogs, youtube, etc.). I can't recommend it at all, despite the low price.
I struggle sometimes with complicated styles and great vintage looks can be hard to achieve, but this books is perfect for me!
I find that although the book is well laid out and well designed, there isn't enough text on how to do each step and some of the styles simply can't be achieved single handedly.
I also would have liked it to contain variations of how styles can be worn in different hair lengths, and some of the styles couldn't be achieved without specialist stuff like pin curl clips which I couldn't find where to get.
There weren't really enough styles in it.
It has been slightly useful though.
Each finished style looks messy, and the steps are hard to follow and not very well explained. The layout is also annoying, as the huge pictures take up space that could be used to better explain the techniques. The vintage fabrics used throughout are lovely - what a shame the book isn't as nice
However, for the price of £7.49, this might be a good starting point to getting into vintage style. However, for someone with a deeper interest, this book Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques is in my opinion far superior.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
For non professionals it is an amusing and maybe inspiring book. I advice hair and make-up artists to look further this is not defined for us.Published 3 months ago by Mavros
I bought this book for my cousin to put in her salon. She owns a wonderful 'vintage' style salon and caters for a lot of 'mature' ladies. Read morePublished 5 months ago by wicked
Personally I found this book had not much content.
Fine if you looking for brief representations of hair styles over a few varied periods /eras.
For me. . Read more