on 7 December 2013
This bible is very well produced. The paper is thin, but that is unavoidable with so many pages. The printing quality is excellent and there are many coloured maps. The notes are numerous and extensive, the numbers of words in the notes often exceeding those in the bible text. The notes are written from a conservative perspective, though mainstream views, where different are often mentioned, There are cross references and a number of articles on topics likely to interest readers. The ESV is based on the RSV, which was a well regarded version. It has been updated to excellent modern English which seems to be generally regarded as accurate and clear, though as a literal translation it is inevitably harder to read than the NIV. Being a product of conservative thinking it has altered some translations in the RSV, which conservatives found offensive. There is an issue regarding the NIV, which goes beyond simple translation in places to change the meaning of the text, so that different passages in the bible do not conflict with each other. Fundamentalists perhaps regard this as "correcting" the text, but I think this goes beyond the job of a translator. I have no reason to suspect ESV does not translated the text accurately. The notes are written from a conservative point of view; if one wanted a mainstream scholarly study bible, the Oxford Annotated Bible or the Harper Collins Study Bible would be good choises. These both contain the NRSV which is well respected by scholars. Recommended.
on 14 June 2017
Amazing! This contains all the same material as the larger study Bible but is just smaller! When I bought this it was about £19 which in my opinion is great value. The notes are helpful and the information about each book - authorship, general themes etc. is really in depth and precise.
on 2 October 2017
Really helpful study guide to go along with the Bible, showing you the historical context, what each book's purpose is within the Bible and breaking down the verses to explain some of the language context.
on 11 May 2017
As described by seller, would recommend this
It's OK
on 26 October 2014
Good translation, but this is not Collins publication. This crossway publishing which is American spelling of it.
on 16 February 2017
I will try to keep my review concise since there are plenty of accurate descriptions of this book available- hopefully mine will be precise.
The quality of this bible has impressed me; my only criticism would be that the paper is on the thin side for continued reference use (it is of a good quality) as the print shows through. The rest of the printing is superlative and very well laid out. A thicker paper in the next printing at the expense of a slightly wider book would not go amiss.
Now the content is the ESV, and is the modern literal version (in a meerkin which no longer phases me, it is ubiquitous). The notes are copious, and accurate: moreover there are certain key parts of the New Testament where the notes are not only contemporary, but are in complete opposition to some older-style scriptural dogma. These updated notes have impressed me, and I have discussed several topics with very holy people who have also been surprised and impressed with the spiritfulness of the texts (as a small example read Matthew 11:11 and have a close look at the context and the chapter). Though a well done indeed to the compilers!
There are however, one or two texts where there are simply no notes, or insignificant efforts (and similarly, becasue the text is literal, from a data base, and so is the concordance, then I politely describe the concordance as a load of rubbish). Finally, I would strongly suggest that theology students augment this text with the notes from the NIV Study Bible and the KJ2 Study Bible in order to gain a fuller picture for study purposes.
Overall, a very nice to have Bible, but remember if indeed this version has sold 2M copies, then the NIV/KJV Study has sold a hundred fold more.
on 17 August 2015
I love the ESV Bible. The translation is simple and easy to understand. The footnotes help you get a good understanding of the word.

I would highly recommend the ESV Study Bible.
on 27 March 2010
This is a beautifully bound and published Bible.
It's ideal for both public reading and for private study.
It's bulkier than some other study Bibles, but I wouldn't swap it for anything else, such is the quality of it's notes.
An outstanding Bible - for scholars and casual readers alike.
on 8 November 2012
I can't remember why I choose to buy this particular version of a Kindle Bible (Oh yes I do, I wanted an ESV to complete my Kindle set of Bibles which I'm easily able to carry around with me). Anyway, once I'd got it downloaded, I found it to be so helpful with loads of amplifying explanations of verses and so many charts and diagrams. A really helpful feature is that each of the charts and diagrams can be viewd on a web page if you need to see it in greater detail.
Another helpful feature is the "Index" facility where you are able to type in a short code for each book and then a chapter number and you can quickly go to that new reference. So, for instance, if you're currently reading in Isaiah chapter 53 and need to quickly jump to John chapter 3, you simply hit the facilities key on the Kindle, click down to "Index" and type in "Jn 3" and there you are. I find this a much quicker system for re-direction than many others.
I have a number of study type Bibles and find this one to be the best (from my personal point of view)