Customer reviews

on 10 September 2008
LIke many (I'm sure), I have browsed & collected many bibles - there is particular comfort in reading about the experience of man with God & especially in a beautifully printed book.

No translation will ever be perfect, but the NIV (New International Version) seems a lovely balance of accuracy and lyrical beauty. Run a Google search (or check Wikipedia) & you will find much guidance on how it compares with others. A bit conservative, but this is God (& you are, probably, human). Personally, both the NIV & the ESV (English Standard Version) resonate the most with me.

Most of all, this particular edition is beautifully printed:
-- a wealth of interprative information in 20,000 study notes which are on the same page as the text; generally conservative / evangelical in intent, but (I think) balanced; much on history, context, guidance; much to learn from here
-- 100,000 verse cross-references; choose your favourite verse & allow these to take you on a journey across the text; again (wonderfully) on the same page as text
-- comprehensive book introductions, diagrams, maps, charts
-- world-class index to notes & concordance; & (new to NIV) index to topics

Most of all, it's the size of the book & the form of the text of this particular edition & volume: all of this is beautifully bound in soft leather (almost as good as my wife's shoes, she thinks!), clearly printed on paper which seems just right (around 2,350 pages), the words of Jesus in red, an indecribably lovely volume which you can hold in your hand & bring anywhere.

I really think you will love this book (or course) & this printing.
on 17 August 2013
nice compact bible ideal for study my only complaint is the print is small to read and very insipid but it is still ideal for study
on 20 April 2009
I'm a big fan of the Zondervan Bibles. They're beautifully crafted, easily readable works of art that incite comment whether they're on the bookshelf or in the hand. This particular Bible is a sumptuous example of Zondervan's catalogue.

At over 2300 pages, you'd think it'd be a weighty tome, but it isn't. The gold-edged pages are bound in a handsome soft, flexible two-tone bonded leather. This makes the Bible easy to use, folding back naturally on the spine and staying open at your page. At 8 x 6 x 2, it's hand-portable without breaking your wrist.

The exhaustive notes cover a third of every page, providing an in-depth explanation of the text. A precis of each separate book provides an overview of what is to come, giving details of the possible authors and approximate date of writing. Add to this the many charts, graphs and full colour maps, and you have a Bible aimed at the scholar as well as the worshipper.

My only criticism is there's only one ribbon bookmark. A book of this size and content should have at least two. Still it's a minor quibble and doesn't detract from what is a marvellous example of the Word of God.
on 12 June 2008
The best study Bible - but it's not leather! Zondervan's own web site gives the correct description of this binding:
"Italian Duo-Tone(tm) - Soft, supple, two-tone simulated leather."
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2011
Personally, I thought the bible was alright. It has maps, notes at the bottom and has introductions to each book within the bible. However, what I didn't like was that. It was too big. All those who say that the font is too small. That is not true. I can read it perfectly. It is an amazing bible. The only con is that it too big!....I honestly cannot see myself carrying it around to church or meetings or ladies prayer etc etc...
on 17 June 2010
Would highly recommend this NIV Study Bible. I bought it for my husband as a gift and we both use it all the time for our own study and for preparing group bible studies. Clear, easy format and a beautiful looking book too - so excellent gift.
on 10 June 2009
I was not sure what the size would be like and at first I thought it was too small. I've soon got used to it and now find it invaluble and would not be without it. The paper its printed on is the best, the information packed into it is amazing and just the whole feel of the book is great. It's so easy to hold and to find the correct place that you need to be. The Bible is a special book anyway and this version really is special.
on 17 August 2010
I love this bible, it's really beautiful and high quality, it would make an excellent gift. It sounds silly but the looks of it help me to treat it a bit more reverently I think, it feels special and exciting to open.
The explanatory notes and maps are really helpful and easy to understand, I refer to them all the time.
It fits an amazing amount of information into a very compact package - the trade-off is that the pages are quite fine and the print is small, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is the least bit short-sighted or has any problems with manual dexterity, but for me it was everything I wanted.
on 1 August 2013
I like the compact nature of this edition (enabling me to take it on holiday) and the fullness of information although the small print and fine pages (necesssary for compactness) require me to be concentrated on the task of reading and page turning rather than skimming through intellectually or physically.
on 18 June 2009
This is an attractive Bible with a lovely soft leather cover. However, it is VERY small, and in order to contain the Bible and all the study notes, the paper is so thin that it is translucent and the print so small that it is virtually unreadable. I had to send it back, hats off to Amazon for their fantastic, easy and efficient returns system.