- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians Paperback – 21 Nov 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'… in a logically clear and physically rigorous way the book highlights the landmarks of the analytical mechanics so that the attentive student can be easily prepared for the exam. It is suitable for studying in intermediate and upper-level undergraduate courses of classical mechanics …' Vladimir I. Pulov, Journal of Geometry and Symmetry in Physics
A concise but rigorous treatment of variational techniques, focussing primarily on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian systems, this book is ideal for physics, engineering and mathematics students. Written in clear, simple language and featuring numerous worked examples and exercises, this book is a valuable supplement to courses in mechanics.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book is very well bound for a paperback and has a great clarity in the size of the fonts to the size of the page.
* Target Audience
This is aimed physics, engineering and mathematical 2nd to third year undergraduates with a prerequisite with an ability or comprehension with Vector Calculus and partial differential equations, and perhaps any prior exposure with Calculus of Variations.
* Whats covered then?
The book starts on basic reminder of calculus equations of motion, then jumps into the Euler - Lagrange equation that is the workhorse of this and other books using Calculus of Variations. This has the usual required level of prior exposure to how the way the Mathematical language is used to explore this topic. The major plank used in the Lagrangian physics defined as the difference between Kinetic and Potential energies and expressed within the standard Lagrangian - Euler equation. You find a constant methodology as applying the 'principle of superposition' comes up time and time again.
The three most important laws within this books content are 'Conservation of Linear Momentum', the 'Conservation of Angular Momentum' and the 'Conservation of Energy'. If you know how each of the laws in symmetry terms as to how they work your O.K. The sections run another exposure to Calculus of Variations and how they can be applied with standard rules. The next parts cover a linking between Calculus of Variations which can be then applied with Lagrangian mechanics. The way these are explained uses a much stricter development with mathematical symbolic notation techniques. If your capable of reading this symbolic stuff its actually better way to take this lot in.This is needed as it generalizes to objects with many coordinates.Read more ›
There is however, a number of good worked examples and the explanations are quite good. Worth the buy in the end, but it could be better.
The book also provides a thorough (from a physics viewpoint) treatment of the mathematics that lie behind the concept.
All in all a very good book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent job, wonderful seller, I'll continue to order from him. Thanks.Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis > Differential Equations
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics > Mechanics