- Amazon Student Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
String Theory For Dummies Paperback – 30 Oct 2009
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
explains the basic concepts of what the cover refers to as the controversial theory . (ScienceBase.com, October 2010).
From the Back Cover
- The basic concepts of this controversial theory
- How string theory builds on physics concepts
- The different viewpoints in the field
- String theory′s physical implications
Your plain–English guide to this complex scientific theory
String theory is one of the most complicated sciences being explored today. Not to worry though! This informative guide clearly explains the basics of this hot topic, discusses the theory′s hypotheses and predictions, and explores its curious implications. It also presents the critical viewpoints in opposition to string theory so you can draw your own conclusions.
- Understand the "theory of everything" grasp the key concepts and importance of the theory, and learn why scientists are so excited about finding a theory of quantum gravity
- It all comes down to physics discover how string theory is built upon the major scientific developments of the early 20th century
- Building the theory trace the creation and development of string theory, discover its predictions, and see whether accurate conclusions can be made
- Take string theory for a spin explore the core issue of extra dimensions, the implications for cosmology, and how string theory could explain certain properties of our universe
- Boldly go where no one has gone see what string theory has to say about possible parallel universes, the origin and fate of our universe, and the potential for time travel
- Hear from the critics listen in on the heated debates about string theory and weigh the alternatives being offered
Open the book and find:
- The questions string theory attempts to answer
- Easy–to–follow examples
- Explanations of Einstein′s theory of relativity, quantum theory, and particle physics
- The successes and failures of string theory
- Fascinating bits of string theory including strings and branes
- Ways that string theory can be tested
- Discussions of loop quantum gravity and other possible alternative theories of gravity
- How the theory may relate to cosmic mysteries, from the origin of matter to black holes
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The author explains a really abstract theory (or theories, depending which way you look at it) in a simple and uncomplicated way and satisfied my curiousity with enough imformation. The book does make you think in an abstract way which is a good thing so long as you don't do too much of it in work because your boss might call it daydreaming (unless you're a theoretical physicist)!
Ironically, because Mr. Jones presents a well balanced view of the controversy surrounding string theory, he has stripped away the glitzy, graphically enhanced visuals of my aforementioned TV shows, and now I'm not so sure about the theory as a further understanding of nature. I now see these TV shows as propaganda from scientific/political lobbyists.
I don't think this was the author's intention but I do think the book has done a great job and has given me a more informed opinion on string theory and the confidence to question and debate it.
The problem is that scientists are in a dark room unable to look out.
It's a problem of their own making. String theory is an extraordinary achievement, as is the recognition of the ten-dimensional nature of the universe.
But scientists still don't understand time, the core energies that manifest as the hidden dimensions, the nature of awareness, the correspondence between the core energies/hidden dimensions and human awareness/the chakras.
The discussions of parallel universes and time-travel are both frustrating for being momentarily accurate then veering wide of the mark.
It will of course never occur to them that only three of the strings/dimension operate at above Planck length/below Planck frequency.
There's so much physicists could learn if only they'd ask - but they're too busy denigrating 'pseudo-science' even as they market their own.
A shame, but we'll get there in the end... just more slowly than we need to.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category