on 16 July 2017
I cannot say anything original that has not already been said by other reviewers here, but there is a reason this book is in #1 spot for weight lifting and training theory. I was given the heads up on this book by reading Michael Matthew's "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" (which I've reviewed seperately and consider to be an extermely poor resource on the same subject), and have loved every page. It is set out superbly, with colour coding and excellent drawings, and is the NUMBER ONE resource for correcting positioning, technique, posture and method whilst emphasising injury limitation.

The book really comes into it's own where you might be seeking alternatives to certain movements, and as the book is divided into body part sections you can always choose a new exercise from its pages and understand whether it will help you target your chosen body part effectively. I have, since paying attention to Delavier's clear writing and superb cross-section illustrations, corrected my form on a great number of movements which is all the more important as I train at home in my purpose-built gym, and therefore cannot benefit from expensive PTs at the local gym.

It gets even better when you purchase this fundamental exercise guide together with Delavier's separate Strength Training Anatomy Workout #1, which for me is the defining text on home gym workouts using nothing more complex than dumbbells, barbells, body weight and resistance bands together with chairs and your bed.

Do not delay and add these two Delavier books to your collection today - you will NOT regret it.
on 15 May 2016
An amazing book !

For each muscle or group of muscle, the books shows :

- anatomy diagrams of the muscle and its surroundings
- specificity of training this muscle (why it's important, what effects can the training have both for health and for appearance)
- exercises to do for that muscle with minimum material (body weight only, or dumbbells, or resistance bands)
- exercises to do for that muscle with more equipment (machine, barbell, etc)
- pro and cons of exercises
- how to stretch that muscle

This book is primarily aimed at men, and focuses a lot on upper body. I own the "women's strength training anatomy workout" and this one, and I think those 2 book complement each other quite nicely. This one has arms work, the women version has glutes works (this book does not focus on glutes that much). With the two of them, almost everything is covered.

TL,DR : great book to have if you want to actually understand what is happening in your body when you train !
on 26 April 2016
I need to take protein shakes after reading this stuff.

Seriously tho, it's incredibly useful when you work your behind off and know EXACTLY what you're working (and what you're missing!!)

The ONLY book you need if you had to go to a remote island and cut up coconut trees with your bare hands and shaved them down to dumbells and an Olympic bar.
on 17 September 2015
Love this book, I've just got into strength training and this book is perfect!

Really goes in depth as to what exercises will work what muscle group and shows you the correct technique for each move.

Wouldn't be without this in my gym bag now i've got it!
on 20 March 2017
Really helped me understand what muscle groups are used on each workout and also helped me with the correct way of doing each exercise.
on 12 January 2018
Great reference for someone just getting started and looking for visual explanation of how to perform many of the common freeweight (and machine resistance) exercises
on 27 October 2016
This book was recommended to me by a Fitness athlete that I admire - Simeon Panda. I recommend this book for not just people aspiring to become fitness professionals but also for those keen on learning more about the human body, whether they follow a weightlifting plan or not. Full colour images and annotated diagrams, thorough descriptions and analysis of exercises including how to perform safely and even details injuries that may result due to improper form. This book will help me prescribe exercises to my clients when I qualify as a Personal Fitness Trainer.
on 19 January 2016
Bought this to aid my son in his PE GCSE. Excellent book, great drawings, loads of really interesting and useful information. Would definitely suggest you buythis if you need an in depth knowledge on muscles, where in the body they are, what they do and what exercises are best for particular muscle groups.
on 1 February 2018
My expectations of this book have been extremely under par. I was expecting a good book yes, but I didn't expect quality of this calibre. The content, the diagrams, the information and knowledge of the author are invaluable. Minute detail of every exercise, its correct form, what muscles are being used. Definitely a book that far exceeds all expectations.
on 6 July 2016
This is a book aimed more at the intermediate lifter than knows quite a bit about anatomy already. It focuses on the main lifts and the muscles that are used. I think there could have been more variations included but overall not a bad book.