Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 13 August 2014
thoroughly enjoyed getting lost in the tale. would recommend this book to both adults and older children. wonderful journey.
thanks
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 February 2014
Do you ever recall the fairly tales you used to love so much as a child and lament that the magic you found in those books is over, now you are an adult? 'Strength of My Heart' is truly the fairy tale for adults that you've been wishing someone would write and it has brought back for me some of the delight and total absorption in a story that I remember from way back. It had me in its hands from the very first page.

There is something about the directness and honesty with which this book is written that makes you immediately feel empathy for the very human central character. With such vivid descriptions of scenes and characters, the author has a gift of pulling you in and keeping you there, something which in my opinion, many established authors lack.

If you want a book to quickly lose yourself in, to snuggle up with and which will stay with you for a long time, I highly recommend this one.
on 7 May 2014
Firstly, I was drawn to Strength of My Heart by Heather Murdoch by its subtitle, A Spiritual Fairy Tale. I have liked fairy tales ever since I watched a cartoon version of The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen on television when I was a schoolboy. After reading the essay on fairy stories in Tree and Leaf by J.R.R. Tolkien, I understood more clearly the importance of fairy stories and why they are not for children alone. Strength of My Heart, which is a good title, I think, could be called a modern fairy story, which wishes to reveal the dangers of being too bound to the world and material possessions and it also unveils a path to spiritual growth.
Written in confident, limpid, flowing prose, the book had an odd charm, which compelled me to read on. Its narrator is a young woman who begins her story not happy with herself, her family, her friends, her job, and is fearful that she might soon become redundant. Left alone in the snow one night, she leaves the ordinary human world behind and enters a world where live talking animals and humans together. Other than the fact that they can talk, there is nothing magical about Rabbit, Unicorn and Fox, the friends she makes in this world, but she does experience some magical moments.
As her heart is gradually thawed, warmed by love and friendship, during the course of her adventures, I found the book had the same affect on mine. So you could call it a heart warming tale, well told. It makes clear the dangers of materialism and reveals a path to redemption from it, through the simple pleasures of friendly company and love. Anyone who enjoys the world of the fairy tale will enjoy reading this book.
on 8 February 2014
I love any story that resonates with my own heart and I knew from the opening that this is my kind of book. If you are looking for spirit and joy in one read, then this is it.
on 5 February 2014
This is fairy tale that brings a meaningful message in a comforting format. The safety of a "story" allows the message to gently reach the reader and nudge some of those thought processes we often try to hide away from. The grown up world is not always an easy road and sometimes we need to step away from reality in order to know the truth.
Easy to read and hard to forget.
on 21 February 2014
This book shows that we are never too old to enjoy a fairy tale. Once I started to read it I didn't want to put the book down.

The story has great depth and many spiritual messages, and I for one can relate well to Bailey, as she begins to re-evaluate her life and her choices.

Thank you Heather for this lovely book and I look forward to your next one.
on 8 February 2014
An adult fairy story with a heroine more worldy than Alice in Wonderland. She takes us on a journey through the mire of corruption & economic despair meeting intriguing characters that ultimately give us a hope for the future.
on 8 February 2014
I really enjoyed the experience of reading Strength of My Heart I felt I was part of the Spiritual Fairy Tale and I didn't want to put the book down. Well done Heather looking forward to reading your next book
on 4 June 2014
When I downloaded Heather Murdoch's story, I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea. However, I thought I'd give it a go and was surprised by how much I loved the story.

It started as a normal, every day story and was confused as to the cover and how this would turn into a fantasy. No fear, the author does this almost seamlessly that you do not even question the strange and magical world the lead character ends up in.

There's so much to like here and if you're a fan of Alice in Wonderland and other magical stories, then this will be right up your street. Highly recommended read, whatever genre you enjoy!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 February 2014
Excellent book which took me with the characters on their journey. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done Heather, looking forward to your next ne.