Streaming Media Demystified Paperback – 29 May 2002
See all 3 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
- New Standards, Schemes, Protocols
- Implementation Musts
- MPEG-4, MPEG-7
With uncommon skill, Michael Topic's excellent guide takes you inside today's essential killer app. More than just an implementation guide though it certainly is that, packed with needed data on the latest formats and standards Streaming Media Demystified offers a complete picture of the application that will soon threaten television's dominance as the primary transmitter of video.
YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK IF
- You want to be on top of the critical application that brings seamless interactive video and audio to the Internet
- Glitchless, seamless, and almost effortless streaming media over both wire and wireless 3G sounds good to you
- You're an executive at any firm with a stake in the Web or in broadcasting
- You wish to know everything about the application that will drive the success or failure of broadband
- You want to master the compression techniques and IP trafficking methods that make streaming media go
- You need a ready source of data on formats, technologies, and how to make them work
- You'd like to preview the impact of an application expected to be used by 75% of broadcasting and e-commerce firms by 2003
- You invest money or time in any firm involved with communications, entertainment, or digital technology
- You want a thoughtful, expert analysis of markets, audiences, appliances who they are, what they will watch, and what they'll watch it on
- You're ceaselessly curious about hot applications in the digital revolution
In Streaming Media Demystified you find:
- Content delivery techniques
- Interactive multimedia
- Video and audio compression
- Metadata and MPEG-7
- Digital rights management and MPEG-21
With future potential bigger than television, streaming video over the Internet is the essential application for broadband and 3G. This book takes you inside a billion-dollar technology.
About the Author
Michael Topic is a professional innovator and product design engineer, running his own consultancy, Imaginative Engineering Ltd. Originally trained in electrical, electronic, and computer engineering, in his native Australia, he now lives in the UK, with a cat, a family, and a large collection of electric guitars. Michael has spent 18 years creating digital media tools for creative and demanding customers. During his career, Michael has lead design teams creating Internet streaming media encoders, audio and video nonlinear editing systems, synthesizers, and music sequencers.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
16 August 2002
This book provides a thorough exploration of the current state of the streaming media field and expert opinion as to where the technologies are headed. While Topic delves deeply into his subject, and is clearly enthused with the intricacies involved, the writing is always clear and accessible and the reader is left with a solid understanding of the topic (ahem). Approaching streaming media from both a technical and business standpoint the level of research which has gone into this book is impressive, explaining the minutiae without losing sight of the big picture, and should leave even seasoned industry professionals feeling they've learned something. Highly recommended.
29 July 2002
This book is a must if you need to know what's happening now in the streaming media arena, and, more importantly, what's going to be happening SOON. Topic obviously is expert in his field and clearly explains the major technologies, both current and emerging, and how their application is affecting the web and broadcast media. Highly recommended reading whether you're a media producer, executive or investor.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: 2 reviews
Streaming Media Demystified, TRULY!
28 August 2002 - Published on Amazon.com
9 people found this helpful.
I was quite intimidated by this topic when it was first introduced to me. I am not a technical computer person and I was certain that I would need a glossary of exotic information technology terms to comprehend the information that was to be presented, however I was determined to find out what all the buzz was concerning this latest development in the field. I was delighted to open the book and find that not only was I able to understand the history and current state of the media, but I was able to envision what the author was describing would be the future using this technology. It is an excellent read and it has truly made me appreciate just how many things this can be applied to and not only the ones that were indicated by the author. He sparked my imagination with his vision and enthusiasm. I would highly recommend this volume to anyone who wanted to truly understand the past, present, and limitless possibilities for the future of this subject.
18 August 2005 - Published on Amazon.com
3 people found this helpful.
Very frustrating book to read. Far too many words for the amount of information imparted. Could easily be half the size. Seems poorly planned/outlined. Example: Chapter 1 is 7 pages. Chapter 2 is 236 pages. McGraw-Hill where are your editors and reviewers?