The Strangling of Persia: A Personal Narrative Paperback – 6 Jul 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Shuster writes vividly, with intelligence and wit as well as considerable passion. You can't help but share his outrage at the atrociously high-handed behaviour of Russia and Britain in what was supposed to be an independent country. However, as Dr Jennifer Siegel points out in her monograph `Endgame', Shuster was to no small extent the author of his own downfall. His refusal to engage in the realpolitik of the Great Powers or to tolerate the corruption of the Persian upper classes - both highly commendable in theory - ensured that he alienated all potential allies except for the extreme nationalists. And his plans for an ever-larger Treasury gendarmerie led by the "fanatically anti-Russian" Colonel Stokes were seen as a threat by factions inside Persia such as the police, not just by the hawks in St Petersburg. As one contemporary British author sneeringly put it when commenting on this book, Shuster's "criticisms and denunciations reveal the lack of grasp of European problems so often manifested by his countrymen"!
Shuster's legacy was an admiration of and fondness for the US amongst the people of Iran, which lasted right up to the overthrow the Mossadiq government in 1953, by which time America had also discovered that being a Great Power means never having to say you're sorry.
It is an excellent book, it worth every penny.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Middle East
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Middle East > Israel
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Middle East > Palestine
- Books > History > Political History > Democracy
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Middle East
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Democracy