- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 203 KB
- Publisher: Wildside Press (1 Feb. 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004LRPK9O
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 6 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #324,648 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Storm: A Science Fiction Classic Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The only reason this didn't get five stars is the price. I felt a little bit 'done' because this is a real 'short' story.
Opening with a description of an interstellar storm of epic proportions where matter and anti-matter collide and annihilate one another releasing enormous amounts of energy in the process. This description was made possible at the time of writing by the relatively recent discovery of the positron and the excitement that the possibility of anti-matter produced even made it into the science fiction of the day, even though the word antimatter is not actually used in the story.
Against the backdrop of this storm a huge intergalactic battleship capable of subduing entire civilisations has just found a race of robots - robots who have hidden themselves away for a very long time and have no intention of being brought back under the control of humanity.
The second half of this story explores the relationship between a robot man and a human woman and was probably considered enlightened and perhaps even slightly risqué at the time, but unfortunately the fact that some things even needed to be said really does make the ideas being expressed feel dated and old fashioned.
The Kindle presentation is pretty good throughout, and there is even a decent pulp style cover picture.
Overall - 3 stars: Even though the second half of the story has not aged that well, this is still classic pulp science fiction from a master storyteller and I enjoyed most of the forty minutes or so it took me to read the story.
Loved it. Definitely worth a read.
Most recent customer reviews
I suspect this will only be really appreciated by hard core, dedicated sci fi fans. I found it a bit slow and uninspiring. But that's just my humble opinion. Read morePublished on 21 May 2013 by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Short Stories
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet