Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2008
There is no other book like this one. Most animation books are either theoretical, or teach you 'how' to animate. It's great that we have those but at last we have a book written from the heart, by a man, and his interviewees, who are truly passionate about their craft - the art of Stop Motion (a.k.a. Model Animation). Barry Purves is renowned in the animation industry for his marvellous films, such as 'Next', 'Achilles' and 'Gilbert & Sullivan - The Very Models', as well as for working on classic series such as 'The Wind in the Willows' (my favourite) and 'Chorlton and the Wheelies'. This book covers all of Barry's major influences, and takes you on a journey through, literally the title: passion, process and performance. It is difficult to put the book down, simply because it is so packed with information and inspiration that will open your mind, not to mention the many accompanying illustrations. I would highly recommend this to any fan or student of animation, or indeed any related craft, because it is truthfully written from the heart. A wonderful book.
on 15 February 2008
'Stop Motion' is about as far from a stale text book as you can get. It manages to deliver plenty of technological information whilst also entertaining and inspiring. Be warned, even if you are not creative yet, it could well cause you to yearn to animate with the best of them!

Perhaps only such a professional and established talent could write so openly and engagingly. The author's enthusiasm is as infectious as his talent is impressive. 'Stop motion' is in many ways a love affair with a most wonderful artform - a journey through all that inspires the author and other leaders in the field. I particularly love that time was taken to interview other animators on various themes as the answers are often quirky and entertaining.

Add to that superb presentation with excellent illustration and you have a definite winner brimming with inspiration. Naturally it will be a hit with students and professionals of the craft, but I also suspect it will generate much new interest and respect. Superb!
on 24 October 2009
Having not got any of my books with me at home I decided it was about time to spend more of my student loan. The result of this is that I now probably can't afford to eat until January, but on the upside, I do now own Barry Purves's book, `Stop Motion: Passion, Process and Performance.'

I love Purves's work. You can tell through both his films and his writing that he is intensely passionate about what he does. I think his film `Next' is fantastic. I just love the idea and it amazes me when I think about how difficult it must have been to think it through enough in order to make the concept work as beautifully and seamlessly as this. I also love the theatrical quality of Purves's films, there is just something about them that draws me in and engages my imagination. I also admire how well his puppets are animated, they really do `come to life.'

I am finding this book to be a genuine source of inspiration. It is helping me to realise why it is that I love the stop motion craft and is motivating me to keep going and not give up on doing what I love. I think it is one of the only books that I have bought for my animation course that I am not going to struggle to stay engaged with from beginning to end. It isn't filled with lots of unnecessarily complex language and film theories. It is just simply examining the art form and demonstrating why it is such a wonderful technique to become involved with. It is a pleasure to read and I think it will have a huge impact on my own attitude and practice in future.
on 23 April 2009
This book is a treat. It's fresh, fascinating and useful. This is a stop motion book like no other. Forget 'You will need: Scissors, plasticine, wire...' and think more 'You will need: Courage, dedication, imagination...'

Purves' writing is refreshingly personal and honest. He talks us through his colourful career in animation, giving an insightful insider's perspective. The book is unashamedly celebratory of the medium and features contributions from relevant names in the business adding further perspectives.

The book thoughtfully contextualizes puppet animation, opening up a whole world of research, inspiration and further reading. Purves discusses filmmaking from a truly artistic perspective and dare I say, practically for the first time, acknowledges, and goes into detail about the parallels between stop motion animation and theatre.

From start to finish it was entertaining, thought-provoking, even philosophical. It's a book that begs to be read more than once. A touching and unique read - one of a kind - and deserves to be on the shelf of anyone remotely interested in stop motion animation. The insight into the creative process and the discussion of storytelling, different art forms and relevant mediums is fascinating to practitioners in any field.
on 29 December 2009
This is not a step by step instructional book on exactly how to animate, but more a collection of thoughts and experience from one of the foremost stop-motion animators in the world. Extremely inspirational, it gives an in-depth understanding of the passion needed to become a stop motion animator and of the art and visual language of cinematic storytelling.

A must for experienced and student animators alike.
on 4 July 2009
this book is a must read for anyone interested in animation for those that appreciate animation and those that make animation
on 17 December 2012
Covers so much, and can be dipped into again and again as an excellent reference book. Bought it as a gift for someone in the States who is mad about stop-go animation and who says that the best stop-go animation comes from the UK!
on 30 August 2008
What an extraordinary review by J Burns. I wondered a) why he chose the book; b) whether he actually read it; and c) whether he enjoys animation.
Such a personal and vitriolic attack is a shame, for Barry Purves' 'Stop Motion - passion, process, performance' is an exceptional book, written by a leading practitioner whose films have been Oscar and Bafta nominated and have won over 60 prestigious awards worldwide. This is not a 'how to ' manual but one man's deeply personal and insightful investigation into what it means to be an animator.Erudite and witty, this is a fascinating chronicle of a lifetimes' love and obsession with animation - warts and all. It is insightful, humorous, poignant but above all inspiring - I loved it.
on 10 August 2008
They say you can't judge a book by its cover and unfortunately it's true. When I bought Stop Motion: Passion Process and Performance I was hoping to read an inspiring and instructional book that would help me when creating my own animations. Far from writing an objective or in-depth analysis of the art and technique of stop motion animation, Barry Purves has used this opportunity to write his autobiography which is crammed full of personal observations and idiosyncrasies that can be of interest only to his most ardent fans.

Be warned - if you are looking for an objective and informative overview of stop motion theory and technique, as I was, this book is definitely not for you. It reads like an unterrupted stream of consciousness from a washed-up old luvvie, who occasionally drags in friends and acquaintences to add a bit of interest and give the impression of a more rounded piece of work. This book is principally an advertisement for its author and an extended tour through his back catalogue. If that's what you're looking for then I can recommend it although in fairness I shouldn't need to because it should be clearly written on the cover.