on 30 April 2006
Some very interesting and challenging thoughts on what motivates commitment to church, clearly showing that Christ's love for his bride, the church, should be mirrored in our love for the church. Being so firmly based in a US, congregational, evangelical church context can make some of the suggested practical applications of this concept appear a little narrow. This is particularly true in the UK where we are having to learn new ways of being church that may not be geographically local, meet on Sunday or in congregations. Despite this, the author does have a gift for producing some really nice turns of phrase that will stick with me.
on 8 June 2007
What a refereshing read! This excellent little book provides a gracious encouragement to be fully committed to church while successfully avoiding the ill-perceived arguments of some of the more extreme (e.g. contrast to John Bevere's "Undercover"). It promotes healthy respect in churches for leadership and membership and should encourage the church to really be the community of believers we should be. Unsure about church? This book really is worth a couple of hours of your time!
on 24 September 2010
I found this book easy to read, yet challenging. Joshua Harris highlights questions and points to ponder to ensure that we are in the right church, whilst ensuring our thoughts are biblical and as God intended. He highlights what a church is for, and how to ensure a church is biblical. It was easy to read, but allowed me to rethink elements of my church experience. It enabled me to ensure my heart is in line with God's I highly recommend this book.
on 8 January 2011
As an avid reader of Christian books, I rank this little gem of a book as one of the most helpful and inspiring. I would regard it as essential reading for all Christians and aspiring Christians. The text is non-technical, and communicates its message clearly and powerfully. It is one of those books that ends too soon and one that you cannot stop thinking about.
on 12 July 2013
This is a great book. Well worth the read. If you want to understand the purpose of church and how you play your part- this is very insightful and practical. An easy read.