on 19 May 2014
C J Box has taken a break from Joe as fishery and game warden and has him working with another fishery and and game warden out of state but actually as an FBI 'spy' to report on Templeton, the sheriiff, judge etc who seem to be up to no good. Templeton has so many people working for him and some well known characters go completely missing.
This is a book that you will find difficult to put down. Although so many things are going you can see how they are fitting together. It is not one of those books that go from one thing to another and you have to remember what has happened chapters before.
If you have not read a C J Box then try this while it is only £1.25.
on 26 February 2015
Think this is one of the best in this series. Seemed a bit slow at the start, however, when it picked up speed it was non stop action. Think it would make a great movie. It's only recently that I started reading this series and sadly read some out of sync . I only have one left to read in the series. Will be sad when that's finished. Would really recommend them all, some are better than others but all in all highly enjoyable.
on 28 January 2015
Another great story from CJ Box in the Joe Pickett series. This one see's the return of Nate and towards the end, briefly, of Missy, (mother of Joe's wife Marybeth).
As usual you can read this even if you haven't read the earlier Joe Pickett books.
In my opinion, and I've read them all, every book is a 5 star read. CJ Box is one of the best thriller writers around today.
on 9 June 2014
Great story - first encounter with the writings of C.J. Box & it won't be my last . Slow build up at first but realised this was necessary to fully introduce the setting & characters. My golden rule has always been ' if a book grabs me in the first few paragraphs ' I will stick with it. Well this novel had me well & truly "grabbed". Household chores took a back seat so I will have to catch up with those before I settle down with another Box gem.
on 28 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book from the first page. I t caught my imagination and kept me spellbound throughout. It's good escapist reading; a bit far fetched at times but non the less enjoyable. I've read quite a few books, over time, by this author and have enjoyed them all really. They are real page turners and the family interest element is always believable. However it's a long time since I've picked up one of his novels. I wasn't disappointed in this last offering and at such a discount the book was a steal. Keep writing Mr Box. I'll be looking out for more adventure mysteries by you.
on 26 September 2017
I love the Joe Pickett books, each one is so different. Unlike some formulaic series I've started and then become bored with after a few books, CJ Box manages to avoid that trap. I have read all the books in chronological order and will soon reach the last one. I man dreading this so much, I have now had to start reading other books in between my regular exurcsions into Joe's Wyoming because I know I'm going to be lost when I've read the last novel.
on 4 April 2014
Brilliant as usual from Mr Box. I tried reading it slowly to make it last but I couldn't.....just wish Mr B could write as fast as I read. The story was slightly different from the normal Joe Pickett books but interesting none the less. I won't tell the story, just read it for yourself, if you haven't read any of the previous books in the series I suggest you start from the beginning and work your way through them all, it is worth it.
on 23 March 2018
The usual high standard from C J Box and this excellent series.
on 18 May 2014
This was excellent as all the other Joe Pickett series and would definitely recommend it.

I was extremely upset after purchasing this new CJ Box novel at the full price only to find out that two days later it was reduced to £1.29 which took away from the thrill of a new novel by this author!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 August 2014
Another great book from CJ Box. I only came across this writer last year and I just love him. His characters are very real and nothing is unbelieveable. Not going to say anything about the story itself, except that Joe Pickett is an excellent hero. Would recommend any of his books.