on 20 April 2006
this is a super book. Neither of my grans can crochet and my mum claimed to know how but when it came to it she actually didn't have a clue. I've tried to learn from online tutorials and other books in the past but they were all useless so I was getting desperate. With this book I learned in less than a week. The instructions and diagrams are clear and the patterns are all nice things you might actually make. My only complaint is that all the patterns are for worsted weight yarn and all the patterns are for branded yarns that I can't find anywhere (the book is American). But that's a small gripe since you can convert them for yarn you like.
on 21 May 2017
Excellent book.
on 11 May 2017
User friendly advice, as the knitting books. Variety of cool patterns - flowers to hats to cardigans.
on 20 June 2017
Some very odd patterns in this but a good introduction to crochet and useful for the improver.
on 28 April 2017
Wool is not a material, it is a way of life.
on 24 May 2007
I have always been a knitter rather than a crocheter and I bought this book originally because I had enjoyed Debbie Stoller's other books - but as this one was crochet, I only glanced at it and it sat on the shelf unread for a long time. Just recently, I found a crochet item that I really wanted to make and The Happy Hooker came down off the shelf at last!

When I read her knitting books, I already knew how to knit but nevertheless I very much enjoyed them - and still managed to learn a lot from her clear and amusing style of writing. So it was interesting to approach this book from the point of view of a beginner to the craft. I'm currently working through the book and not only am I actually learning how to crochet but I'm enjoying every minute of it! Like another reviewer, I've also looked at Crochet for Dummies, which is quite useful but dreary - Stoller's book makes learning a pleasure! I find her instructions and diagrams extremely clear and easy to follow and she seems to explain things that other publications don't.

As a UK reader, I like the fact that she has tables giving the alternate UK and US equivalents for hook sizes, yarn types and stitch names. I'm pencilling in the UK names of the stitches as I get to them. (The Dummies book, by contrast, just briefly mentions the fact that the UK stitch names are different but doesn't tell you what they are! What sort of use is that?)

The book is very witty and sparky, and attractively produced, so the reading is a pleasure in itself, besides the fun of learning a new craft. I've never persevered with crochet before but Debbie Stoller's combination of humour and clarity are carrying me through this time. I've not got as far as making any of the patterns yet but there are quite a few I'd like to try - and I'm an oldie!
on 5 June 2006
This book is amazing. I have tried to learn to crochet before using the "Crochet for dummies" book which made me assume i really was a dummy as i couldn't understand it! I spent many frustrating hours attempting to make things and getting nowhere. However, Debbie Stoller is a genius and in half an hour i had learnt all the different basic stitches as well as how to crochet in a circle. The book is funny as well as informative and has really detailed instructions and pictures. Obviously written by someone who can remember what it's like to have no idea how to crochet! Good stuff.
on 30 August 2006
The lady in the yarn store asked me as I bought some beautiful yarn and a crochet hook, "Do you have somebody to teach you to crochet?" I lied and said I did. I was frightened that she would refuse to sell me the yarn otherwise.

I speedily hopped up to the bookshop and before I knew it I was holding in my hands the "friend" who would teach me to crochet: Debbie Stoller's "The Happy Hooker". Later, with my yarn in my hands and the book propped open on the desk in front of me, I taught myself to crochet within the afternoon.

This book is a great tutor, and I look forward to many happy hours twirling that yarn and making beautiful garments and throws, all thanks to The Happy Hooker.
on 19 May 2007
I had wanted to learn to crochet for years but all the books I had ever looked at were just no good for beginners and I never got anywhere. I found this book on Amazon last October and bought it after reading the reviews on here. I sat down one evening with the book and learnt to crochet basic stitches within a couple of hours. I was a complete beginner who had never even seen a crochet hook before but the instructions and diagrams in this book are so clear and well explained that anyone with a bit of patience can learn. I think the key is that you really need to concentrate and persevere. I got a bit frustrated at first but kept going and eventually, it all began to make sense. I'm usually quite impatient and tend to skim through parts of any instructions but with this book I followed every single line and it paid off.

The book is well written and Debbie is entertaining and really keeps your interest. Some of the patterns are really stunning and even if you don't really like some of them, there is lots of scope to improvise and adapt them to something you would love to wear. So far, I have made a couple of scarves from the book, a hat and the fat-bottom bag but I am planning to make many, many more of the items. There are a few errors and typos but Debbie Stoller's website has clear corrections so if you check them out before starting any pattern, all is fine.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn to crochet - just keep reading and re-reading the basics and keep going and you will get there! I would also recommend it for those who can already crochet as it's a good reference manual for the more unusual stitches, and of course you can never have too many crochet petterns!
on 5 December 2006
Debbie Stoller has done a cracking job with this book; the projects are very cute, very cool, and you won't know which one you want to try first. The instructions are so clear, I had no problem picking it up despite being left handed, and a total beginner. Happy hooking!