Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 16 November 2009
This book was written at the very end of Keith Floyd's life,and although I found it very sad it is essential to read it to round off his story. The "Ghost", James Steen, has done an excellent job, Keith Floyd was in the mood to talk and reminisce about his past, at times angry, sad or resigned, and Steen has condensed what must have been many hours of thoughts and words into a well rounded book. So many people in Floyd's life took advantage of his generous nature, and in this book it all comes back - unlike the previous episodes of his autobiography where he was still positive and full of optimism. In this book he talks in greater depth of the saddest times, holding nothing back. There will never be another Floyd, I was lucky enough to meet him at a book signing and he was just as his TV self, a real gentleman with humour, a great love of food, wine and life. Floydy, you will be sorely missed.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2009
I eagerly awaited this book and was not disappointed at all - it's a great insight into the life and times of one of my all times heroes - Keith Floyd. The book details his early career, rise to fame, time when work was either non-existant or scarce and when the demons of life became too much. Some of the book is well known and previously documented but much was a revelation to me and some was down right uncomfortable to read and bordering on being far too honest for his own good.
It is with great regret that this book came out as Keith's life ended but is a fitting tribute to the man who made cookery interesting, honest and fun - today's chef's just do not come close.
This man is the reason I enjoy cooking so much today - no buggering about, just good wholesome regional cooking without frills or fancy.
My one regret is having been in the presence of Keith I never had the bottle to get his autograph.

Rest in Peace Keith and thanks for the fun, the food and the memories.............
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2010
I have always admired and enjoyed the work of Keith Floyd and do believe that he started a whole generation of would be amatuer cooks as well as quite a few professional ones! I watched the programme on him just before he died and was quite saddened and amused at the same time and for me this is what Keith was and what his book relays - a whole mix of emotions! I was glad when the snow arrived in January after receiving my book, as it meant that rather than drive to work, I could use the time on the bus, to read it as I didnt want to put it down! I was very sad when I came to the end of the book as I knew that this was it - there would be no more Floyd. If you enjoyed his TV programmes you will enjoy this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 November 2014
I've just finished the Audible version of this book and was totally immersed. I loved Floyd as a TV chef in the 80's. He was articulate, informed, intelligent, irreverent and above all, entertaining. This is a warts and all account. It moved me to tears and laughter in equal measure. He was a man with talent, energy and above all, a heart of gold.

Forthright when required, it seems his honesty gained him a reputation for appearing 'difficult'. Well done that man; he was unafraid to say what he believed. His approach to food and cooking was honest and inspirational. His perceived affectations belied a man with real talent for food and taste, without pretension. His financial and personal dealings seem to have been troubled but I have no doubt that he was a good and honest guy. The final chapters were particularly moving. In his mid 60's, having reached a point where major health, personal and financial issues were resolved or positive he was at a composed and peaceful place in his life with much to look forward to. Poignant doesn't begin to describe the heartbreak that the final pages describe...

But overall, this was a delightful romp through the life and places which shaped a truly unique individual. The world is poorer after his passing but the legend lives on and I loved this book.
on 31 March 2014
This is a well-written / ghosted biography - easy to read and running at a fair pace.

There is no doubt that KF had absolute control over the content - awkward bits are mostly glossed over, while the positives are given rather more airtime. The story mostly focuses on his business adventures, with a smattering of personal bits and pieces; thankfully (from my point of view at least) there is little in the way of cheffy stuff.

However, I was struck by several apparent conflicts in the narrative. KF claimed to hate all the celebrity stuff, but put a fair amount of time and effort into the equivalent of supermarket openings - appearances on strange TV programmes, guest speaking at odd events, etc - all inadequately justified (if he needed the cash, why not just say so?).

He was also, shall we say, unlucky in love. And extraordinarily useless in business. No financial acumen at all - multiple restaurant failures, employing obviously-unsuitable staff, etc, etc.

Still an enjoyable read though - and I could hear Keith's voice narrating the story throughout. Still the best of the celebrity chefs!
on 21 September 2009
After reading "out of the frying pan" you get a real sense of who the real Keith Floyd was. Now at a time when not only the UK but the world has lost a great TV presenter and lover of food we have the next instalment of this amazing person's life.

He may have been controversial in some of the things he said and in his options, but you had to love his life long love of food and the ability to entertain us in what can only be described as "the Floyd style".

From the ground breaking series "Floyd on Fish" to the later "Floyd's India" - amazing shows about food - for food lovers everywhere.

He will be greatly missed.
44 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2014
Like thousands of other people worldwide I came to like the cheeky chappie who cooked anywhere and everywhere, glass or bottle at hand for a 'slurp' making me watch a type of programme I would never watch usually, a cooking programme. His on screen persona was carefree and mainly jolly mixing with practically anyone no matter who they were. But having read his book I look on him a bit differently now with mixed feelings at how callous he was, especially regarding his wives, of course he was brave enough to put all his thoughts down whilst being very ill but at times I found it uncomfortable reading of the cheeky chappie.

His talent was never in doubt he made people sit up and take notice of food and the cooking of food but he seemed an impatient and at times and impertinent person and having achieved stardom seemed selfish in pursuing that lifestyle whilst still purporting to be the boy next door. The only people who never seemed to occur his wrath were his rugby playing mates and although he admits to neglecting his children during their formative years, again being away in some far flung place, he found comfort in the bottle rather than actually trying with his wives to make a marriage work.

Of course his is not here now to defend such accusations and of course I have never tasted his exotic lifestyle but from his own words he was not the Floydy of the TV screen in real life a fact people tended to forget, and when he did get time to sit back and enjoy the fruit's of his success he couldn't he wanted to be back out there to help with the never ending money problems he had throughout life, he seems to have found some resemblance of peace towards the end of his life. But of him, we have the same birthday by the way, after reading his book I am still a fan, but slightly less so.
on 30 May 2016
We owe a debt of gratitude to David Pritchard who brought Keith Floyd, slurping wine and tossing plates about, to our television sets in the 1980s. Together they remoulded whom we thought should be in the kitchen and dragged many a latent male chef from the couch to clatter about in the cutlery drawer. Floyd is honest in relating his addictions and disasters and rarely fails to flatter, begrudgingly, his old director. Alcohol was his best friend and worst enemy, as was 'Floydy', his TV incarnation that dogged his public and private life. If you loved Floyd, you must read this. Even though ghost written, one cannot fail to hear his voice as you turn each page. Very funny but ultimately sad. He will always be missed as simply the best.
on 17 February 2010
Yes you do get the impression that it is a bit of a rush job, particularly towards the end but perhaps his health was worse than we or even he knew, it being barely a couple of months before he passed away. One thing is certain, it is eons better that his previous 'Out Of The Frying Pan' bio.

Its a tad slow to build, contains too much on some aspects of his life and not enough of others. Despite the swift ending the final two thirds or thereabouts of the book are particularly good; sad, funny, tragic et'al as he pours his heart out with such downright honesty.

As another reviewer commented virtually nothing on one of his best series, 'Floyd Uncorked' with J. Pedley. I was really looking forward to that 'episode' but it never arrived, perhaps nothing much happened although as I type I cannot believe that! It was the only real disappointment as the rest made exceptionally easy reading, the at times random, disjointed aspect reflected his character perfectly, thus I feel enhancing not distracting from the books appeal by providing a more accurate and vivid picture of him talking directly to the reader.

I have followed Floyd for many years but not especially for his cooking! I followed Floyd for his innate style and irreverence, his 'no nonsense' presentation and to the great credit of his 'team' the wonderful backdrops and mini guides of the areas he visited. He will be sadly missed but this book and no doubt the many repeats on cable will help keep his spirit (!) alive.
on 6 April 2012
As we are wont to remind ourselves when someone passes, 'we will always have what they gave us'. In Floyd's case, what he gave us was much indeed. Essentially it was the passion - for food, for life and even for love, although at his own admission he never seemed to be able to make it last (the love that is). This testament to a touching, hilarious, witty, sometimes vexing but always authentic human being was completely un-put-downable. Luckily I got it as a Mother's Day gift so was able to guiltlessly lie around all day and read the best part of it, finishing off in stints standing at the cooker later in the week. If you want a book that makes you laugh, cry and go 'aw' all at once, this is it - he was a legend and must have been tremendous fun to have as a friend. I thoroughly recommend it!