Stick Man Book & CD
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2015
Storyline - Stick man goes for a jog one day and on his journey he visits many places e.g. a beach, park and river where he comes across danger The story is based upon what the stick man could be used as e.g. a throwing stick for a dog or a bow or a pen. Towards the end it’s Christmas and snows, then the stick man is reunited with his family in their tree.

Purchased as it was on my reading list for my Teaching training course at university specialising in early years. It has been an invaluable resources for use in the early years classroom on teaching placements. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Julia Donaldson, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story about not only the festive season, christmas, but with having loving family, emotions, safety, nature/forest school (sticks) and also about using items for their purpose.

This book can be used a stimulus for many activities or discussion points including:- encouraging the use of rhyming words/strings; creating items using sticks; the importance of family, relationships and love which could lead onto 'how am i special' and 'who is special to me'; emotions, in particular recognizing the changing emotions throughout; learning about possible dangers of the world and understanding how scary it could be to be lost or away from family. The CD is a great added extra and can be used to entice the children into the story. It would be great to be used in the car along with other Julia Donaldson stories.
Would recommend to any early years teacher or parent.

Equally good books of Julia Donaldsons include:-
The Snail and the Whale Book and CD Pack (Book & CD)
Tiddler book and CD
on 7 May 2016
Stick Man is another Julia Donaldson book which is one of my 2 year old’s favourite bedtime stories.

It is the story of a stick man who is separated from his family, when he goes for a jog and is picked up by a dog. He then ends up on all sorts of adventures, with the reader wondering if he will ever get home.

My daughter is not a particularly sensitive child and like most 2 year olds, just takes things as they come, but she did seem a bit worried about Stick Man being away from his family the first time we read this. This is despite loving Monkey Puzzle by the same author, which is a similar theme of separation. Once we’d read through once and she saw the outcome of the book, she relaxed and now asks for it regularly.

The story rhymes and flows nicely. It’s not too long, so holds my daughter’s attention well. My daughter loves shouting ‘I’m Stick Man, I’m Stick Man’ along with the story and it’s been read so often she can recite some parts of the story. It also has a bit of a Christmas twist at the end, so may be a good one to read around that time of year.
on 6 January 2018
Such a lovely book. I bought the hardback copy and it’s a cardboard book, but it’s not a baby book, just durable. My kids love it as well as the programme, it’s the first book my one year old will sit and listen to without trying to rip it out of my hands!
on 30 July 2014
This is a fun childrens book with adventure and exploration. The art work is as good as you would expect from a Julia Donaldson/Axel Schaeffer book with lively colourful pictures and plenty of details.
The writing is clever and imaginative, again being structured to rhyme and make the book easy to follow for young children.
The only reason i have given it 4 stars is because unlike in the gruffalo books the charactors do not come out so lovable or interesting, i found that my son is not as bothered by the predicaments of stickman as he is by the gruffalo or the witch in room on the broom.
Overall this is a good quality book for children.
on 6 February 2016
My two toddlers (ages 2 and 3) absolutely love Julia Donaldson's books and this is no exception. As with her other books, it's a pleasure to read with a lovely, rhyming flow to each page. It arrived in the New Year and I must have read it to them close to one hundred times already!!! Somehow I managed to miss the Gruffalo bauble on the tree in the book but my two year old spotted it after a dozen or so readings!!! A really lovely book to add to our growing Donaldson collection.
on 14 January 2017
My son loves all the Julia Donaldson stories and since seeing Stickman on TV this Christmas, he just wants this story read over and over again. Its a nice small size, perfect for travelling in the car or on a plane, and its a sturdy board book. Definitely recommend, as a gift or a new bedtime read for your little one!
on 10 May 2017
This book tunes into children's fascination with sticks (and the many things you can use them for). This story has been televised and so is quite familiar to many children. I have used it as basis for themes at Forest School, using it for story telling, making up own stories and making stick family tree. The book looks at how it feels to be lost and the joy on being reunited with your family.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 August 2016
My daughter is a huge fan of the Julia Donaldson books. Stick Man is one of her favourites, and I've lost count of how many times we have read it together, to the point where she has memorised most of it. Her grandma had a copy so I decided we should really have a copy of our own so she could read it whenever she wanted. I think this one is preferred even over the excellent Gruffalo series, however she still loves The Smartest Giant in Town more!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2016
Great book, but the jump in the story line about two-thirds through is odd. As if the publisher said the original story was too long, we must forcibly remove 4 pages. A good prelude to letting our daughter watch the short animation version.
on 7 March 2016
As I posted in my review of Tabby McTat, my little boy loves this book too. I found the rhyming easier in this book than in Tabby McTat and the story easier to read through. Like other Julia Donaldson books, this one has some characters from other books illustrated in it and I find this really keeps my little one's attention as we read through.