on 22 February 2016
I think my back is sorted, I had terrible problem last year in September, I was doing my last day at work and had to cancel it because something happened to my back, I never experienced such a pain of the lower back and thought I just have to manage to get to my car and drive home, when I got into the car the pain was excruciating (and I thought I was quite good managing pain without the pain killers, haha),I had to wait for quite a while till the pain eased of a little and managed to get home. Back at home it started aching so badly I could only stand holding a chair and crying while my partner got me some painkillers. the pain lasted few days, I went to cranio-sacral therapist and relaxed a lot during her sessions. And while the pain was still somewhere in the background I found Esther book on amazon. I really loved the photographs on every page and started applying Esther's suggestions immediately, it is now nearly 6 months after the my back problem and no more pain so far! I improved so much that can not even slouch in the car any more,(I spend about 10 hours in the car a week) My back will straighten up itself. Walking took me longer to master and probably it is not perfect yet, but I feel my pelvic and buttock muscles are much stronger and more bulky which I am really happy about :) to summarise I love the book and I am really grateful that Esther shared her knowledge so generously.
on 27 July 2017
After watching the author's TED Talk, I was keen to get this book. I also bought the "Strechsit" cushion to go with it. Apart from a general awareness of sitting up without slouching, I learned nothing of real value.
on 14 June 2017
Fab
on 22 April 2017
Fabulous book! I've bought it for 5 other friends!
I was due to go to a workshop today.. but sadly had to cancel, I will definitely do it some other time!
on 26 January 2015
Good sized book, lots of information and well illustrated. I'm sure it is going to be of benefit, when I have finished reading it.
on 23 July 2017
I've had back surgery and was in pain every day. 8/10 pain. It was awful. This book has helped me so much. I've recommended it to everyone. My consultant said I should sit up straight but I couldn't sit up straight, it made me tired and ache! That's because I wasn't sitting straight, I was sitting in the position I thought was straight. Read this book. Watch esther videos on youtube. It's totally amazing. If you are in pain like I was you will be spending £40 every time you see the physio/osteopath. Stop. Make the changes she suggests and change your life
on 17 June 2012
I found this book by browsing on the US Amazon, and bought it as one of a number of books to resolve an issue with my back.

The book does for me an excellent job of showing using the examples of people in Burkinso Furso, Brazil, Portugal babies and ancient statues and even picture of people in the US and France at the turn of the 19 century that what is accepted today as good posture is not in fact the case.

The static exercises, and sitting on the chair are reasonably well explained, although it helps if you have someone to read the exercises out to you and to check you are in the right position, particularly the one where you are on your side in bed.

Where I struggled with my understanding is with her description on how to do the glide walking, particularly as the pictures do not have the floor on them and are shown in discrete sequences from one place to another.

This to me was so much an issue that I bought her DVD when it cam out from her US site, but unfortunately she puts walking as a bonus at the back of the DVD and doesn't really explain if much better than the book. The rest of the DVD cover the stuff in the book.

She has videos on her site and youtube, and also quite a long talk that she gave to Google employees, so if you are interested then check these out first.
22 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2013
I am only on step 2 of the 8 steps but so far I have to say I am really impressed. The steps are easy to follow and work through with the pictures, it just takes a little practice to get it completely right. I sat all day at a meeting last week and managed to make it through the day with the least amount of pain I have experienced for years. Just don't buy this thinking you will be cured tomorrow, you do need to work through all the steps in detail and ingrain them in your brain!
on 7 July 2009
There are so many bad backs, and so many ways of tackling the problem. What marks this book out is that it works! The 8 steps are described in 8 chapters showing simple effective ways to stand, sit, lie down and walk in a back friendly way. Numerous pictures and diagrams make understanding the text easy, and the book a pleasure to read and refer to again and again.

The approach taken is based on observing people in cultures where back pain is virtually unheard of. This results in an approach that might not be exactly the same as you've encountered before, but from personal experience I know how effective it is. If you want to get a flavour of the Gokhale method try looking on youtube for a video of Esther teaching. Give it a go, and if you like it, do buy the book.
on 8 March 2010
In summary, the author makes a very good case that westerners are prone to back pain largely because our lifestyle teaches us to forget the forward pelvic tilt that keeps the discs of the lower back in correct alignment. Her solutions are simple habits to practise when lying, sitting, standing & walking. Excellent photographs are used throughout to reinforce the mental image of healthy posture. As a corrective therapist I use this book all the time as a reference for clients & heartily recommend it as a great resource.