on 14 January 2001
One of the great writers of the 20th century offers an exhilerating workout for writers of narrative fiction & nonfiction. It is a handbook full of warm up exercises such as "I Am Gorgeous" for reading aloud; writing a chaste paragraph of descriptive narrative prose without one adjective or adverb & "Changing Voices" - writing the same story from different perspectives.
What I like about Steering The Craft is that I'm seriously studying along with this fabled author & suddenly there I am, brow frowning, mind minding every precious word & she stops me on a dime with a pun of the first water!
A quietly important, useful & informative textbook for writers wishing to flex the muscles of their minds. You know a writer? This would be a superb gift!
on 25 July 2013
Short book of exercises and writing prompts. It was a pleasure to spend time in Ursula's writing world, in the company of her mind as she examines what works, what doesn't, and how you can challenge your default writing techniques and become more versatile. There's something here for experienced and new writers alike.
on 15 January 1999
Steering the Craft combines the basics that you left in high school English, along with the exercises to get you to take a risk and write. Some exercises lead you into using a different voice, perspective or tense. Other exercises release your inhibitions, and kick you into quick improvisation. You will get something from this book!
on 25 April 2014
Still working my way through this book, but so far so good, great tips and advice for anyone wishing to double check or hone their craft - some of the exercises are a little old fashioned, but practice makes perfect.
on 23 September 2009
I first discovered this book in my local library. I was impressed by the exercises and discussions that Le Guin has designed for writers to develop their skills; so I purchased a copy. I think it will sharpen my skills.
on 23 November 2014
Wonderful book, I regularly go back to it.
on 27 February 1999
not enough material for the price. For a writer as wordy as she can be (e.g., the long long trek thru the cold in Left Hand), it is puzzling. Also, where's the attempt to teach the difference between short story and book-length fiction writing? An attempt to help explain the market? Inside stories?