Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.50|
Save £6.27 (50%)
Steel Boat Iron Hearts: A U-boat Crewman's Life Aboard U-505: Debunking the Myth of the Napoleonic Wars Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
In 1954, Han Goebeler read an article which informed him his beloved U-Boat was now part of an exhibition in Chicago and promptly moved with his wife to be near the machine that once meant so much to him. It wasn't long before he would be found giving personal talks to visitors. Over the years he also brought former adversaries together in reunions.
This book is his story. From those early beginnings in the Kriegsmarine until his death in 1999, he recalls just about everything that ever happened to him. He was not a Nazi, nor was he a demon or monster - just an ordinary man who was called upon to serve his country as did what any of us would do - he served. It is a moving story in which the reader will soon become gripped by the reality of life - and death!, on board a German U-Boat at time of war - although there is much to it than just that.
Rest in Peace Hans Goebeler - you earned it.
I was interested to find the view point of a crew member other than the view point of an officer about
life on board a wartime U boat.
All the books I have read relating to u -boats have been very interesting,but this book has been the most compelling read so far.Thank you to the authors.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good to get a real submariners view, had me gripped from start to finish and as a retired British Submariner what an insight.Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
A very very honest and down to earth version of how real life in the U boat world was. The authors honesty may make you squirm, but it is the honesty that makes this book such a... Read morePublished 15 months ago by P. N. Tilakaratna
A really excellent, factual read. Not just about life in a submarine during WWII but about life in France and back home in Germany. Not to be missed!Published 18 months ago by Peter
Excellent work. So different to hear "The other side's" perspective.Published 20 months ago by Keith Wilson
Very sincere insight into the life of this u-boat. Well worth buying.Published 22 months ago by D Urquhart-Potts
an intersting book written by a very brave man who even after many years still seems slightly bitter. Read morePublished 23 months ago by a customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Germany
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Archaeology > Maritime Archaeology
- Books > History > Europe > Enlightenment, Revolution & Empire 1751-1900
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Europe > Napoleonic Wars
- Books > History > Maritime History > Naval Battles
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Naval Forces
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns > D-Day Landings
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Naval Warfare
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military