If you have piles of laundry to press on a regular basis, steam generator irons might be the perfect option for you. By continuously producing steam over a long period of time, steam generator irons can make short work of deep wrinkles and are pressurised to penetrate steam into the most durable fabrics.
What is the difference between a regular iron and a steam generator iron?
Regular irons are usually more affordable and easier to store. However, they tend to require more time and elbow grease to remove stubborn wrinkles. It usually takes more time for steam generator irons to heat up, but significantly less time to iron clothes once the iron is ready. Unlike regular steam irons, steam generator irons can hold roughly four times as much water. They are also easier to use and lighter to hold—perfect for tackling large loads of crumpled creases in a short amount of time.
How to choose a steam generator iron
• Choose a steam generator iron that suits your laundry workload. If pressing a mountain of clothes is a concern, then a high-quality steam generator iron will pay off in the long run while providing professional dry-cleaning results.
• Consider the fabrics you need to iron. From delicate cashmeres and silks to thick denims and wools, steam generator irons are ideal for tackling heavy-duty garments and stubborn wrinkles.
• Steam generator irons that have more bars of pressure can deliver steam deep into fabrics. Models can range anywhere between 3-6.5+ bars of pressure.
• Look for soleplates that glide effortlessly across fabric for an easier and shorter ironing time.
• Choose a steam generator iron that steams powerfully rather than continuously. Powerful steam pummels deep creases, while continuous steam is generally more mild.
• While all steam generator irons will get the job done, entry-level models usually have fewer features and smaller water tanks, while premium models often have better limescale protection and come with auto-clean and auto-temperature abilities.
Looking for more home appliances? Visit our Home and Garden store.