on 11 April 2016
Being an ex merchant sparks (radio officer) who was at sea from the 60s until the 80sI found this excellent book so true and a lovely detailed
description of life aboard a merchant ship slightly before I went to sea.
The book describes all the various ups and downs of life aboard, like the excitement of getting mail in your port of arrival.The constantly
wondering and guessing where your next port might be .Oh there was so much more in that well written book that I would most definitely
give it 5 stars.A lovely story of a young deck cadet and him making the best of life and love so far away from home.
A great read that brought back do many memories of those happy carefree days at sea
on 5 August 2015
An excellent read ,excellently written, As an ex merchant navy Sparks I enjoyed the book immensely. I was at sea a little later than the author and sadly never got to Japan but remember life on board exactly as written when the merchant navy was great fun for a young man without all the elf-n- safety issues of today and also of a British Merchant Navy which then had lots of ships.
This book is a 'must read' for all ex seafarers who were at sea in the 60s & 70s and also for those at sea now who sadly missed the freedoms we had then. I am only sad that the cover of my copy is different from that shown on Amazon and does not have the picture of the lovely Hiroko.
on 17 November 2017
Took me back to my days at sea .I was on the old tramp ships when the world was a safer place got to the ports John went to Happy days very sad ending .Well written John .Thanks for the memories.
on 29 September 2014
Funny, fascinating, evocative... I could go on. This book is so much more than the usual Merchant Navy autobiographies that are available. I have seldom read a book that does so well in taking the reader along for the ride. I could relate to many of the situations, people and places described, despite the story being a couple of generations before my time. I would really have liked to have read more on how John's career progressed, how his ship mates got on in life and of course how he moved on after Hiroko. Any plans for a sequel ? I cannot recommend this book enough. Thanks to the author (John Molloy) for putting this compelling story to paper.
on 14 January 2016
I loved the book and it could not put it down, life for merchant seaman was hard in the 50s, my father was at sea at that time and once spent 18 months away, The story is about life aboard but is also a love story and a rites of passage. Well worth reading, I was moved by it,
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 October 2013
I read this book thinking it would be another dull sea going saga, but much to my surprise it was a fantastic read. This story will grip you from the early adventures of this seventeen year old deck apprentice and hold you in his grip as he relates the world of seamen as he grows into manhood over four years. His love affair with the beautiful Japanese girl Hiroko will squeeze your heart.
A great read don't miss it.
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 April 2017
Bought this for 80 year old father in law (as I have his kindle linked to my account) who is in a nursing home and enjoys his ebooks. He says it's good so I have left a 4 star review as I can't verify.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 April 2015
enjoyed this book immensely brought back many happy memories of my time in the merchant navy as engineer officer with Blue Funnel Line and time spent in many of the ports mentioned mainly around japan . I loved the Japanese people always gave us a warm welcome and a lovely country, Would have liked to have known how life turned out after this story
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This was an amazing story of Love & Travels. A first tripper being smitten with the Far East and the young ladies. I really di enjoy the story especially the ports he visited but the main theme was his love for a pretty Japanese girl. Very touching.
on 10 February 2017
Great story about times at sea, many of our generation experienced. My book Always in My Blood shares many experiences that John Malloy writes about. John's account is very specific with times and dates, my one regret is I didn't keep a diary as I am sure I would have many more tales to tell.
We were both very fortunate to have experienced the great times of the 60s Merchant Navy. Well done John loved it!